With severe injuries( injuries, brain concussion, multiple fractures, large area burns), the common general condition of the body often develops - traumatic shock. This complication is accompanied by a sharp weakening of blood flow in the arteries, veins and capillaries due to a decrease in the tone of the vascular walls, relatively large blood loss and severe pain syndrome.
Signs of traumatic shock.
- Presence of injuries to the victim.
- At the initial stage, the victim feels a strong pain and signals her with a cry, groan, words. Subsequently, the victim can only make a weak moan, deceiving rescuers. This behavior is due to the shock state, rather than the weakening of pain.
- The inhibition of the victim.
- Severe paleness of the affected. Tachycardia, frequent breathing.
- Possible injury from bleeding.
First aid for traumatic shock.
First aid for traumatic shock consists in the maximum elimination of the action of the main damaging factors in the following priority order:
- Stop bleeding.
- An introduction of an anesthetic - any, from tablets to injections.
- Apply a sterile bandage to the damaged skin.
- Transport immobilization in fractures. Transport immobilization is a powerful factor in the prevention of shock, as it hinders the mobility of bone fragments in the fracture zone, which reduces pain and prevents the occurrence( increase) of bleeding.
- Providing complete rest for the victim.
- Warming the victim.
- Calling the ambulance. If the victim is in a state of shock, he is transported lying in the "penknife" position( legs raised, but not more than 15-20˚).
What can not be done with traumatic shock.
- Leave the victim alone.
- Transfer the injured person unnecessarily. All actions should be extremely cautious, since inept shifting and carrying the patient can cause serious additional trauma and worsen his condition.
- In no case should the injured limb be pulled and tried to correct by itself. This can trigger a traumatic shock due to pain and bleeding.
- Apply the tire with an open fracture, without previously stopping the bleeding, since severe bleeding can lead to shock and death.