Such problem, Like constipation, occurs not only in adults, but also in childhood. To eliminate it, laxatives are used, including Guttalax. Is it possible to give it to the child, how does it affect the work of the intestines and in what dose is it allowed for children?
- In the drops .Such medicine is represented by plastic bottles, which have a stopper-dropper. Inside one bottle contains 15 or 30 ml of a little viscous transparent liquid. It can be colorless, yellowish or yellow-brown. The taste of such a solution is absent.
- In tablets. They are characterized by a round flat shape and white color. Such pills, like drops, do not smell. One pack can include 20 or 50 tablets.
Other forms of Guttalax( suppositories, syrup, capsules) are not available.
The active substance in any variant of Guttalax is represented by sodium picosulfate. In 100 ml of drops it contains 0.75 grams, and in one tablet - 5 mg. Additional substances in the liquid form of the drug are sorbitol, sodium benzoate, water, sodium citrate and citric acid. In tableted form, the auxiliary ingredients are lactose, corn and potato starch, magnesium stearate, and also silica.
Principle of action
Sodium picosulfate in the drug has a laxative local effect. This compound is cleaved in the large intestine by bacteria of normal flora. It forms an active metabolite, which stimulates the mucous membrane and enhances peristalsis. The result is the accumulation of electrolytes and water in the lumen of the intestine, which causes the act of defecation, and the stool softens and is quickly excreted.
The medication acts solely in the large intestine. Due to its use, natural evacuation of stool is stimulated. The drug does not affect the digestion of food in the small intestine. Absorbed Guttalaks in a very small amount. The therapeutic effect of its administration is observed after 6-12 hours( this time depends on the rate of cleavage of sodium picosulfate).
The reasons for appointing Guttalax include:
- An atonic constipation, for example, that occurred after surgery.
- Constipation caused by taking medications.
- Anal cracks or hemorrhoids( with such problems the preparation softens the feces and facilitates defecation).
- Irritable bowel syndrome, one of the symptoms of which is constipation.
- Diseases of the gallbladder.
- Constipation caused by intestinal dysbiosis.
- Constipation due to a violation of diet.
At what age is it allowed to take
The tablet form of Guttalax is contraindicated in children under 4 years of age. Drops can be used in younger children, however, at the age of 2 years such a tool is not prescribed by pediatricians, since the intestinal flora involved in the metabolism of picosulphate in infants is not yet developed enough. For this reason, doctors can prescribe drops at the age of 2-4 years, calculating the dosage by weight of the baby. Without the supervision of a specialist, giving Guttalax to a child under 10 years of age is unacceptable.
How else can you cope with children's constipation, Dr. Komarovsky will tell in the next video.
Guttalax in tablets or drops should not be given:
- With intestinal obstruction.
- With severe pain in the abdomen, especially if it is accompanied by vomiting and high body temperature.
- In inflammatory bowel disease.
- When intolerant to sodium picosulfate or another drug ingredient.
- For severe dehydration.
- When fructose is intolerant.
To avoid these problems, it is recommended to check with a doctor before treatment.
Side effects of
Gutalaxa may cause such negative symptoms:
- Itching itch.
- Discomfort in the abdomen.
- Abdominal pain.
- Rashes on the skin.
- Liquid stool.
- Quincke Edema.
Instructions for use and dosage
- Drops can be taken at any time, undiluted or added to a glass of water. If necessary, they can be mixed with any other liquid or food. The tablet is swallowed and washed down with water.
- The daily dose of a liquid form of Guttalax for a child of 4-10 years is from 5 to 10 drops, and for a child over 10 years - from 10 to 20 drops. A solid form of the drug is given to children 4-10 years by half or a whole tablet a day, and at the age of more than 10 years - 1-2 tablets per day.
- Treatment is recommended to start with a minimum dosage, for example, a child at 6 years of age is given 5 drops of liquid medicine, followed by changes in the stool. If this dose is ineffective, the amount of medication is increased, but does not exceed the maximum age-related dosage per day( in our case, 10 drops).
- For children under 4 years old, a doctor may prescribe Guttalax drops, by calculating the daily dose of the drug according to the weight of the child. For every 2 kg of the baby's body weight, one drop of medicine is needed.
- Duration of Guttalaxa intake usually does not exceed 10 days and should be adjusted by a physician.
Excessively high dose of the drug usually causes diarrhea and dehydration, which disrupts the balance of fluid and electrolytes. In severe cases, the drug provokes ischemia of the muscular tissue of the colon and seizures. Prolonged intake of Guttalax in excess dosage causes chronic diarrhea, abdominal pain, a decrease in the level of potassium in the blood, which can provoke urolithiasis, kidney damage, muscle weakness and hyperaldosteronism.
Interaction with other
medications If Guttalax is prescribed in a high dose and glucocorticoid hormones or diuretics will additionally be used, this will increase the risk of electrolyte disturbances( it will provoke hypokalemia).When administered together with antibiotics, the laxative effect may decrease.
Terms of sale
Both forms of Guttalax are non-prescription drugs, so there are no difficulties with their acquisition. The average price of a bottle with 15 ml of drops is 280-300 rubles, and packs of 20 tablets - about 200 rubles.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Keep the drug at home at a temperature of 0 to 30 degrees Celsius in a place where the medicine can not be available to a young child. Shelf life, drops, and tablets is 3 years.
Using Guttalaksa in children, parents are most often satisfied. Moms praise the drug for a mild effect, good effect, no unpleasant taste, affordable price and ease of use. Negative reviews are rare. They note the lack of effect, because of what I had to use another laxative medicine.
You can replace Guttalax with medicines with the same active ingredient, for example:
- Drops or tablets Guttasil.
- Coated tablets or drops. Slabile.
- Drops Regulax Picosulfate.
- Drops Laxigal.
- Drops of Slabikap.
In addition, the pediatrician can recommend other laxatives( Glycelax, Dufalac, Lactulose, Microlax, Bisacodyl), but only with an expert should choose an analogue. It is undesirable to give any medication of such a group without consulting a medician.