drugs About the importance of iron for the baby every mother knows, so that there is more attention paid to food. And so all parents should know the sources of this element for children in food, and also understand when such sources may not be enough and the child is required to give iron-containing vitamins.
The benefits of
The role of iron in the child's body is difficult to overestimate, because such an element is important for hematopoiesis, immune system, oxidation-reduction processes, skin condition and cellular metabolism. Here are its main useful properties:
- Included in hemoglobin and other proteins, as well as enzymes.
- Participates in tissue respiration, helping oxygen penetrate into cells.
- Prevents development of severe fatigue and drowsiness, protects against stress.
- Supports body growth processes.
- Participates in carrying out nerve impulses and supports the work of the brain.
- Provides support for immunity and thyroid.
- Improves the effectiveness of B vitamins
needs of children
Daily child should receive iron in such quantity:
C to 6 years
From 7 to 10 years
With 11 years
If a child experiences iron deficiency, the following symptoms will tell you about it:
- Decreased appetite.
- Pale skin.
- Drowsiness and lethargy.
- Deteriorated hair condition.
- Fissures on the lips and tongue.
- Peeling skin on the knees and elbows.
- "Dashes" on the nail plates.
- Weakened immunity.
- Impairment of mental abilities.
. The shortage of this element is most often caused by eating and bleeding disorders. Some children have problems with the assimilation of such an element.
To ensure that the children receive enough iron with food, their diet should include:
- Meat, heart and liver dishes.
- Buckwheat and other cereals. Dishes from peas and other legumes.
- Green vegetables in fresh form.
- Persimmon, apples, plums, pomegranates and other fruits.
- Blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, black currants and other berries.
- Egg yolks.
- Dried fruits.
- Low-fat fish. Sesame, halva and pumpkin seeds.
- Carrot, pomegranate and other juices.
- Sea kale.
Better absorption of iron contributes to a sufficient intake of ascorbic acid, vitamin E and copper. It is also important to know that from animal products it is digested much better than from plant foods.
In pharmaceutical preparations
Iron preparations, in which this element is the main component, should be used in children only with indications and after the appointment of a doctor. They contain an element in a fairly high dose, so uncontrolled use can harm a child. In addition, the dosage of such drugs should be selected individually, taking into account possible contraindications.
The mum alone can give the child only multivitamins, in which iron is only one of the vitamin supplementing substances. The dosage of the element in such complexes, as a rule, is low, but sufficient to prevent shortages in case of deficiency in food.
Who needs these vitamins
Vitamin supplements with an increased content of this element are recommended for children who do not consume meat and other sources. Also these drugs should be taken:
- During recovery from a disease or surgical treatment.
- With intolerance to cow's milk.
- In diseases of the digestive tract, worsening the absorption of nutrients.
- In the period of active growth, when iron is consumed intensively.
- With a restrictive diet.
- With significant physical exertion.
Overview of preparations
Iron is contained in such multivitamin children's complexes:
- Naturretto. Among additives with this name there is a preparation "Glucose with iron".In its composition, iron gluconate( 8.25 mg in one strawberry chewable tablet) is supplemented with vitamins C and Group B. The drug is allowed from the age of 4 years.
- Alphabet. These vitamin supplements provide optimal assimilation of the element, as it is separated from compounds that interfere with its assimilation. In supplements Alphabet iron is combined with folic acid, beta-carotene, vitamins C and B1, as well as copper( this element is not present only in the complex Our Baby).One sachet Our baby includes 5 mg of iron( this complex is given to children 1,5-3 years).In one pink pill of the Kindergarten complex, designed for children aged 3-7 years, contains 8 mg of the element. The cherry tablet of both the Shkolnik complex( for 7-14 years) and the Teenager complex( for 14-18 years) contains iron at a dose of 12 mg.
- Vitrum. Iron is found in all children's multivitamins Vitrum, in addition to the supplement of the Kids Gummi. In one pill of Baby's preparation for children of 3-5 years it contains 9 mg. Each Vitrum Kids tablet for 4-7 year olds gives 15 mg of iron. In one Vitrum Junior tablet, calculated for the age of 7-14 years, it is contained in a dose of 18 mg. Each Vitrum Tinejger tablet given at the age of 14-18 is the source of 10 mg of the element.
- Jungle. An element in such vitamins is present in the Jungle Kids Syrup for children 1-6 years old( contains 1 mg of iron gluconate in 5 ml) and chewing tablets. Jungles with minerals for children over 6 years( contain 18 mg of iron fumarate in 1 tablet).
- Complivit Active. Such multivitamins are prescribed for children 7-12 years old. Each tablet of the complex gives the child 10 mg of iron.
- Multi-tabs. Iron is present in most complexes for children of this brand. From the daily dosage of the complex Baby the child 1-4 years will receive 10 mg of this element. The same is contained in the preparation Immuno Kids, which give children 7-14 years. One tablet of the Calcium + Kid complex, calculated for the age of 2-7 years, gives the child iron at a dose of 8 mg. Of one tablet of the Junior complex, a child of 4-7 years will receive 14 mg, and in each Multi-Tabs Teenager tablet for adolescence contains its 12 mg.
- Pikovit. Polyvitamins of this trademark with the content of this element are represented by the additives Pikovit Unik 3+( 2 chewable tablets contain 4 mg of iron fumarate) and Pikovit Plus 4+( 1 tablet contains 5 mg of iron fumarate).
- Solgar Kangavites Multivitamins and minerals. This complex is designed for children over two years old. One chewable tablet of such an additive will give the child 2.5 mg of iron in the form of fumarate.
- Supradin Kids Junior. Such multivitamins are prescribed from the age of 5.In one chewable tablet of this complex, 6 mg of iron fumarate is present.
In the video below, Dr. Komarovsky will tell you how to take such medications correctly and with which vitamins they should not be combined.