Mothers who regularly express and want to freeze milk for the future tend to choose the most convenient container for this purpose. What good are special containers for this and how to use them?
- The ability to use many times makes them very convenient for moms who often express and regularly make supplies of mother's milk.
- They have a sturdy cover that tightly closes the container( screwed) and allows you to transport the power without any problems.
- Thanks to the possibility of connecting containers directly to the breast pump, collecting milk in them is convenient and easy. Also they are usually compatible with the nipples of the same manufacturer.
- They can be in the form of jars, bottles or cups.
- They can freeze other products for the child.
- It's easy to record the date of expressing the milk.
- They are convenient to use outside the home, for example, on a trip.
- Milk in it is easy to unfrozen by placing a container in warm water or transferring it from the freezer to the refrigerator for the night.
- The presence of a scale allows you to control the volume.
- They can be washed in dishwashers.
- Need to be sterilized before use.
- This container occupies more space in the freezer than disposable packages for breast milk.
- The use of special containers requires certain financial costs.
- Glass models may crash if mistreated.
Choose the material
Such containers are plastic and glass. Plastic packaging is more suitable for mothers who are going to keep expressed milk in the refrigerator, because with this storage on the walls of glass containers are leucocytes and particles of fat. If the mother plans to feed the baby with frozen milk in the future, glass models are preferable, since this material is less porous and better protects it.
Those who express and freeze milk rarely, the material is not so important. Solid plastic containers will perfectly cope with storage both in refrigerator and freezing conditions.
In order for a child to receive a useful product, it is important to monitor the use time. To do this, each container should make notes on the date of expression. If the milk is used in the near future, it is better not to freeze it, but keep it in a refrigerator. Storage in the refrigerator is allowed up to 48 hours. In this case, the container must be placed deep into the refrigerator, and not on the door of the equipment.
If the container is stored in a separate freezer( in such devices the temperature is lower), it can be held in it for six months. If you put it in the freezer compartment of a conventional refrigerator, use milk for three to four months. Read more about this in the article about how much you can store expressed breast milk.
- Do not fill the container completely, as it will expand during freezing. It is recommended to leave at the top of the container a free space of 1-2 centimeters. Also, it is not recommended to tighten the covers excessively tightly until completely freezing.
- Before any manipulation, you should wash your hands.
It is not recommended to heat milk in a microwave, as it does not heat up unevenly. Before feeding the baby, it is important to check the temperature of the milk. How to warm up breast milk, read in another article.
Instructions for use
The containers must be sterilized before use. A clean container is connected to the breast pump and filled with milk. Closing the container with a lid, the date of the expression is indicated on it. Next, the container is placed inside the refrigerator or in the freezer.