More than half of babies at the age of 6 months to 7-8 years at night or day can hear squeaking teeth. This phenomenon doctors call bruxism, while not refer to pathological conditions or diseases, but also do not consider it a norm.
In most cases this is a temporary situation that soon passes and does not harm the child, but with prolonged and very frequent episodes of gnashing, bruxism can harm the baby's health. Why can there be such a problem, what to do with frequent gnashing of teeth and how to forget about bruxism forever?
Why it happens at night, why - in the daytime
Most often the child scares parents with gnashing of teeth at night, but this phenomenon can be observed in the daytime. The cause of the creaking sounds is often jaw clenching du
Provoking the emergence of bruxism factors are:
- Stress situations, because of which the nervous system suffers from crumbs. Kids at any age, whether 1 year or 5 years old, react to changes in life quite sharply. The psychological burden on the child can turn out to be even an excess of positive emotions, and what to say about negative stress. The appearance of the creaking with the teeth is possible when moving, starting a garden visit, moving to a new school, a tense atmosphere in a children's collective or family conflicts. The child can not easily cope with excommunication( this is a common cause of bruxism in 10-11 months, when weaning the baby is too early), the loss of a favorite toy, separation from parents or a quarrel with a friend, which can also result in the grinding of teeth in a dream. Even new acquaintances and noisy holidays can provoke the appearance of such a problem.
- Heredity. It can also be the cause of the creaking of teeth in childhood. At the same time, it is noted that bruxism is inherited more often by boys and manifests itself at night in children aged 3-6 years. If the problem was with one of the relatives in childhood, the most likely cause of creaking with the teeth is the genetic factor.
- Teething. This cause can cause squeaking with teeth as in infancy, when the baby only has the first milk teeth( for example, at 8 or 9 months old), and in school-age children who begin to change their teeth to permanent( with a 5-6-Years of age).It is this very reason that causes the day creak with teeth, as the baby during the day experiences discomfort from cutting teeth and tries to eliminate it by rubbing the jaws.
- Overstrain. It can be caused by a heavy load of the child in the school, improperly organized by the day's regime, long TV watching or hours of playing on the computer. As soon as the load on the child is normalized, bruxism, as a rule, disappears.
- Dental problems. Bruxism can be caused by the pathology of the jaw( inflammation or abnormal development of the joints) and an incorrect bite. Because of the broken bite, a child can often grate with teeth in the afternoon, trying to arrange them in the mouth more comfortably.
- Problems with sleeping. The appearance of grinding teeth provoked by difficulties with falling asleep, nightmares, snoring, sudden frequent awakenings, somnambulism or enuresis. In most cases, such causes are observed in boys.
- Increased adenoids. Nocturnal gnashing of teeth occurs in many children with adenoiditis. It is caused by discomfort, which is felt by a child with enlarged adenoids.
- Muscle tension due to lack of B-group vitamins, calcium, and magnesium. Deficiency of these substances is capable of provoking convulsive tightening of the muscles, including the muscles of the jaws.
If you have a cough
Emergence is gritting his teeth at the same time with a cough or stuffy nose. Such manifestations are characteristic for bronchitis, polyps or sinusitis. As a result, because of a cold and shortness of breath, the baby often grinds teeth during the day. But, as soon as the underlying disease passes, bruxism disappears with it.
Dangerous consequences of
Scratching with teeth is often a temporary phenomenon that stops with the disappearance of a provoking factor, such as erupting teeth or colds, but often bruxism manifests itself for so long that it threatens with dental problems:
- Dysplasia of teeth.
- Premature abrasion of enamel. Appearance of microcracks on the teeth.
- Development of caries.
- Increased sensitivity of teeth and gums.
- Inflammation of the tissues around the teeth, which can pass into a chronic form.
- Loosening of the teeth.
. Besides, gnashing of teeth can interfere with night sleep and cause the appearance of headaches. If we ignore the psychological causes of bruxism, the risk of mental retardation, the appearance of depression, deterioration of hearing and vision, weakening of immunity and other problems increase.
What should I do?
If squeaking occurs rarely and lasts no more than 10 seconds, you do not have to worry, but in the case of a duration of more than a month or the duration of dental scraping, more than 10 seconds will have to be taken. To ensure that bruxism does not affect the health of the crumbs and does not lead to damage to the teeth, it is important to establish the cause of such a problem, on the basis of which to proceed. For this baby it is recommended to show:
- to the Pediatrician. This doctor should be treated first. He will be able to identify the baby signs of teething, colds or fatigue.
- Neuropathologist. This specialist will conduct a special examination and will be able to identify such causes of bruxism as stresses and problems in the work of the nervous system.
- To the SOMPHOLOGU.Such a specialist is able to identify and cure sleep problems.
- To the dentist. The doctor will examine the baby's teeth and determine how the presence of dental reasons that caused the appearance of bruxism, and find out whether the phenomenon did not hurt the teeth.
The way in which parents are advised to fight bruxism will be affected by the cause of this symptom:
- If the onset of rattling is due to adverse effects on the child's nervous system, the therapist will recommend creating a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere in the home, less inviting guests and not walkingNoisy places. Walking and sports are encouraged, but active games and television shows at night should be avoided. Before going to sleep, the baby can make warm baths, in which add herbs of herbs with a soothing effect. Additionally, B vitamins are prescribed, since they have a beneficial effect on the functioning of the nervous system, and also use soothing drugs and aromatherapy.
- Bruxism, caused by a hereditary factor, is practically not treated, but passes with time itself. At the same time, some children may suffer from such a symptom for a long time, while in other babies it disappears in a short time.
- If parents have noticed that bruxism has appeared due to teething, can be alleviated by using special gels and rubber teethers. They will reduce pain and discomfort, thereby eliminating the reason to grind your teeth.
- If the cause of squeamish attacks was overfatigue, is recommended to revise the regime of the child's day by adjusting the time of sleep and rest. It is necessary to exclude from the schedule additional sections and circles, and if the child is very keen on a computer or watching TV, strictly control this leisure, limiting its duration. Putting a child to sleep at night is an hour earlier.
- In the case of bruxism caused by an impaired bite, will be treated by a dentist. He will recommend the use of special tires, exercises to relax the musculature of the tongue and face( squeeze and unclench the jaw, lift the tongue slide, stretch the lips in a smile), massage the lower jaw in the evenings, eat solid foods( carrots, apples and other products that need a long chew).With inflammation of the tissues near the teeth, the child will be prescribed medicines and rinsings with herbal decoctions.
- In a situation where bruxism is caused by sleep problems, the should perform the appointment of a specialist who is well versed in such violations.
- If the gnashing of teeth is associated with adenoiditis, the of the child should be shown to LOR, who, depending on the stage and severity of the disease, prescribes certain medications or recommends surgery.
- To exclude such a risk of occurrence of bruxism, as lack of vitamins and minerals, is prescribed to the child complexes in which all the necessary substances are represented in the age-appropriate dosage required by the child.
If there is a risk of damage to teeth due to nocturnal or daytime episodes of creaking with teeth, the child will be advised to wear special nozzles called kapami. They will prevent the erasing of the enamel and the appearance of microcracks on it.
When creaking teeth during the day, it is also advised to try to distract the child with an interesting activity. Go to the park, read a book, play something new, so that the kid forgot about the unpleasant sensations in his mouth.
Opinion of Komarovsky
A popular doctor calls parents not to give anthelmintic drugs when crying teeth to children without examination, since the connection of infection with worms and gnashing of teeth at night or in the day is not confirmed by medical research. Komarovsky advises with prolonged and frequent creaking teeth to address to the neurologist and dentist, because these experts will help quickly and effectively cope with bruxism.
The reasons for bruxism and the methods of its treatment can be found more in the following videos.