Hearing at least once, as a baby grasps teeth while sleeping, most parents are frightened and begin to worry. Doctors do not consider this phenomenon a disease, but in some situations it can adversely affect the health of the crumbs. Turning to Dr. Komarovsky, you can find out why there is gnashing of teeth in a dream and what should be done to parents who have long heard him from a cot at night.
Causes of creaking with teeth in sleep
A well-known pediatrician confirms that scratching teeth during sleep, called medical bruxism, occurs in every third or fifth child under 6-8 years old. Komarovsky notes that bruxism happens in adults, but in children it is diagnosed much more often, and in most cases in boys.
According to the popular doctor, the appearance of gnashing of teeth is due to an involuntary contraction of the masticatory muscles, as
The most common causes of bruxism Komarovsky calls:
- Emotional shocks, negative stress or excessive fatigue. Because of these factors, according to the well-known pediatrician, the nervous system of the child leaves the state of balance, which manifests itself in various symptoms, among which bruxism is also noted.
- Teething in children of the first years of life, as well as the change of teeth to permanent teeth. Komarovsky notes that the discomfort due to the constant itching and painful sensations makes children constantly rub their teeth together. In this case, according to the pediatrician, this reason often provokes gnashing of teeth not at night, but in the afternoon.
- Jaw joint damage or malocclusion. As the statistics show, bruxism is a frequent manifestation of these pathologies.
- Heredity. In his practice Komarovsky noted that the children of those parents who creaked their teeth in childhood, bruxism manifests itself very often.
- Sleep disorders. Komarovsky emphasizes that bruxism often appears in children who suffer from nightmares, enuresis, sleep, sleepwalking or snoring.
- Adenoiditis, runny nose or otitis media. A popular doctor notes that with such diseases the child feels discomfort due to congestion or pain, and in response, grinds with teeth.
- Deficiency of calcium, B-group vitamins, magnesium and amino acids. According to Komarovsky, these nutrients are important for normal muscle contraction. If there is a shortage of them, the child has a convulsive syndrome, manifested by bruxism.
- Insufficient loading of jaws. If parents give the baby a little hard food, this, too, can cause a squeak at night.
The connection of bruxism with worms
Komarowski confirms that people have long associated the gnashing of teeth with infection with helminths. And nowadays he has heard more than once that the older generation recommends, with bruxism, immediately "expel worms".However, as medical research confirms, there is no direct connection between helminthic invasion and creaking of teeth.
Komarovsky emphasizes that bruxism can appear both in children with helminths, and in children who have no helminthiosis. Although, according to the famous doctor, infection with worms can actually aggravate the manifestation of bruxism, but exactly the same situation is possible in the absence of worms in the child's body. See a short video on this issue.
What should parents do?
Komarovsky calls bruxism a non-dangerous phenomenon, which in most cases passes independently and does not require any treatment. Nevertheless, if it bothers the child very often, a child's teeth are threatened( they can be damaged and loosened).Then parents should show the child to the doctors.
For the treatment of bruxism, a well-known pediatrician advises you to contact a neurologist and dentist, since most of the children's reasons for gnashing their teeth in a dream can be eliminated by these specialists. To enamel teeth is not erased during the night creaking teeth, Komarovsky recommends resorting to wearing a special kapa.