When breastfeeding, which is called artificial, breast milk is completely or 2/3 replaced by a milky mixture.
Features and causes of
Child "artificial" is fed from birth six to seven times a day - feeding is carried out with an interval of 3-3.5 hours.
Adapted meals in place of mother's milk are needed in such cases:
- Childbirth was very difficult and it is difficult for a woman to regain strength after them.
- Milk in the mammary glands is insufficient or absent.
- A woman has to take medicines that are vital to her, can not be replaced and not combined with breastfeeding.
- Mom developed an infectious disease.
- Mom is temporarily absent and there is no possibility to store her expressed milk.
Mothers often do not fully understand what the transition to a children's mixture turns into. Sometimes, for the sake of convenience, my mother sacrifices such substances necessary for crumbs, which are only in breast milk.
Before you go to buy a mixture, you should know about the disadvantages of this type of feeding:
- Allergies and colds occur more often in pediatric patients.
- The bottles should be constantly sterilized.
- The baby often has regurgitation and colic associated with excessive ingestion of air.
- In the trip you have to take a large bag, which you need to put bottles, mixture and other items.
- Often it is necessary to change several variants of the mixture in search of a suitable one.
- This kind of feeding requires certain financial expenses.
Are there any pros?
Obvious advantages of feeding a child with a mixture:
- Another person can feed the baby.
- It's always known how much the child ate for feeding.
- It's easy to determine the cause of an allergy.
- Fewer feedings due to longer digestion.
Free artificial feeding
Supporters of this type of feeding base their attitude on different needs of food in a child during the day. Nevertheless, even they follow a certain schedule, deviating from it for 30-60 minutes.
If you have chosen this kind of feeding for a child, doctors recommend feeding the child at certain hours, and the amount of food to give at will crumbs. For this, pour a little more mixture into the bottle - 20-30 milliliters.
Cow milk or a mixture: opinion of Komarovsky
A well-known doctor recalls that even the best and most adapted mixtures are still inferior to women's milk. And if there is at least a minimal possibility to restore lactation, it should not be neglected. In addition, Komarovsky specifies that even the best quality cow or goat milk will always yield to the adapted milk formula.
Due to the fact that in the past 20-30 years, women are less likely to feed babies with cow's milk, and use adapted mixtures, the number of problems in children under 12 months of age has decreased thousands of times. So, if a woman can not feed a baby for any reason, she should never make the mistake of transferring the crumbs to feeding with cow's milk. Even if her grandmother calls the mixture a chemical powder.
Babies younger than a year give milk in any form, and from year to three give milk from a cow or goat should be moderately( up to 200-400 ml per day).Such restrictions are associated with an increased amount of phosphorus and calcium in cow and goat milk, which can not cope with the kidneys of children under 3 years old. This is a danger for the normal development of the baby's bones.
Separately Komarowski mentions the possibility of using donor milk - breast milk received from another woman. Such milk loses its pluses at boiling, and it is not recommended to boil it, after all it is impossible to be completely assured of safety of the given product. Simultaneously, such milk is present and all the disadvantages of artificial feeding - it is bought, boiled, brought to a certain temperature. Komarovsky is sure that such milk is used only in cases of intolerance to cow's milk. In other conditions, the adapted mixture will be a safe, cheaper and more convenient option.
If we are talking about a wet nurse who, along with her child, will also feed your child, this is a completely different matter. If you are sure of the health of the wet nurse, this will be a very good option.
Is it worth giving a mixture to a child over 1 year old?
A mixture for feeding at any age is better than cow's milk. Everything depends on financial possibilities:
- Until a year the child must be fed exclusively with a mixture, no cow's milk;
- From year to 3 years - the need is less acute, but the introduction of the mixture into the diet of crumbs is desirable;
- After 3 years, everything depends on your desires, the need for using mixtures is eliminated.
We recommend that you watch the program "Doctor Komarovsky's School" about artificial feeding.
What you need to feed
They need 4-6 pieces. The volume of bottles - 125 ml and 250 ml. Glass bottles are less preferable, since there is a risk that they will break.
Bottles made of plastic are not only traditional, but also with interchangeable liners. The presence of such a disposable liner ensures a uniform supply of milk and prevents swallowing of air. On sale, you can also find bottles that show the temperature of the mixture in them.
Having a wide neck in the bottle will help to conveniently pour the mixture without losing it. The presence of the lid will protect the nipples from contamination. If the bottle will expand downwards, this shape will ensure its stability. Having bought a bottle that is convenient to hold the child( with a hole in the middle), you will also need a brush, which has a bend at the end to care for it.
There are silicone and latex. Nipples made of latex, eventually become dull and covered with cracks, which forces them to replace them regularly. Products made of silicone are devoid of taste and smell, they perfectly retain their shape and do not soften. Wash the silicone nipples easier.
The shape of the nipple is teardrop-like the nipple of a woman's breast. This nipple takes up little space in the mouth, so it does not become a cause of deformation of the palate and teeth. Also, nipples with an orthodontic form are sold - corresponding to the structure of the baby's mouth. These products help to form the correct bite.
Buying a nipple, also pay attention to it:
- size - products for newborns will not suit older children,
- the number of holes - the mixture should flow out with drops,
- number of holes - newbornBuy a pacifier with one or three holes, and for children over six months is better to choose a pacifier, which can change the volume of the released fluid.
Sometimes it is necessary to try several variants of the nipple in order to find the most suitable for the child. If the baby is inclined to gas and hiccups, it is recommended to buy a pacifier with a valve that prevents air from entering the bottle.
Additional items are brushes( they are for bottles and nipples) and a heater.
How to make a mixture of
To prepare a mixture, take:
- Bottles with a pacifier;
- Measuring mug;
- A spoon that has a long handle.
You can not boil water for a mixture, if you use specialized water for children. Water from the tap must certainly be boiled.
The mixture should be prepared right before you give it to the baby. You can do it:
- In a small bottle. Boil the water and fill the bottle with the desired volume, dial the mixture using a measuring spoon. After pouring it into a bottle, close it and shake well until completely dissolved.
- In a measuring cup. Boil the water and fill the measuring cup with the desired volume, type using a measuring spoon and pour into a mug. Mix well before dissolving the powder, pour the mixture into the bottle, setting the funnel in it.
Before you start feeding, you need to make sure that the temperature of the mixture does not exceed +37 degrees. Drink a milky mixture on your palm: it should be a little warm.
When you are breastfeeding, every mother needs to know how to properly feed the baby from the bottle. Read about this in another article.
Sterilization of baby bottles
When feeding a newborn, the bottles, nipples and other equipment should be periodically sterilized. This is done about once a day. Clearing the devices from the remnants of the mixture with a brush and clean water, they are sent to boil.
For children older than 1 month, prolonged sterilization is not needed. It is enough to simply rinse the bottle and nipple with boiling water or rinse with a soap solution followed by a thorough rinse. In addition, too frequent and long sterilization can play a poor service in the formation of immunity crumbs. For example, a similar situation: growing a plant in greenhouse conditions and then sending it to a normal environment. The child, like this plant, will be much ill.
This device, like a sterilizer, is designed to save energy and time with artificial feeding.
If it is not available, you can sterilize the nipples, bottles and other items in a large saucepan. The items are washed and then boiled for 15-20 minutes and cooled right in the pan, then laid out on a clean towel to remove water.
Teats and bottles can be processed in a steam electric sterilizer. A steam sterilizer is also available, which is used in a microwave oven.
Storage of the mixture
It is possible to prepare the mixture in advance, but in this case it must be stored in the refrigerator for no longer than 24 hours. Preheat this mixture in hot water. At room temperature, store the finished mixture for a maximum of 2 hours.