It is necessary to use a bottle in a newborn baby for various reasons. But in any case it is important to know how to organize the process correctly and what important moments to watch out for.
The correct process for feeding a newborn with a bottle includes the following steps:
- Prepare a child and all the necessary items.
- Feed the crumb in the correct position.
- Help the baby to spew air.
From a bottle, you can give both a mixture and expressed breast milk. For proper preparation of the mixture, follow the instructions on its packaging. Dilute the mixture in the proportion that the manufacturer indicated.
If you add more water to the mixture, such a diluted mixture will not give the baby all the necessary substances for a single feeding. If you mix the mi
The adult should wash his hands before preparing the mixture and before feeding the baby. It is recommended to prepare a fresh portion of the mixture for each feeding. If the mixture was prepared earlier and was standing in the refrigerator, it should be heated. To do this, use a special heater or bowl filled with warm water.
Check how the mixture flows from the bottle by tilting it. The flow should occur with droplets at a rate of about one drop per second. If the milk flows excessively abundantly, the pacifier should be replaced.
On how to properly defrost breast milk, read in another article.
- Check the temperature of the mixture by dripping some of the contents on your wrist. The mixture should be warm.
- So that the crumb does not get dirty, put on your bib. Take the baby in your arms and try to get his attention, patting the child on the cheek. You can also drop a little mixture on the baby's lips.
- Do not allow the baby to fall asleep until he has finished eating his portion of the mixture. In this regard, consider that malnutrition of about 20 milliliters is normal.
- A person who has drunk all the baby's milk should take the bottle. If this is difficult to do, use a toy for distraction.
- Do not rush to put the child right away. Give him the opportunity to vomit the air, why hold the crumb in a vertical position.
Position during feeding
The posture should be comfortable for both the kid himself and the adult. You can hold the child in his arms in the same position in which the baby is breastfed. Make sure that the baby's head is slightly elevated and does not tilt aside or back( this will prevent the baby from swallowing). This position of the newborn when feeding from a bottle is the most correct. In this position, the baby feels the closeness of his mother and establishes a psychological connection with her, which is extremely important for the development of the child.
In lying position, crumbs are not recommended to prevent milk from entering the middle ear.
Keep the bottle under a slight bias, so that there is always milk in the nipple. It should not be held vertically, so that the crumb does not choke. With a very tightly twisted ring, it is slightly unscrewed. If a little air gets into the bottle, it will prevent the nipples from collapsing. On the bubbles you will understand that the child sucks the nipple correctly.
Regurgitating the air
Along with a mixture or molochkom baby swallows and air. And because the baby can have a feeling of fullness, when he has not yet finished his portion. For this reason, it is worthwhile to take small breaks during the process, so that the child will sprinkle air. Such a break will help the crumb again to feel hungry and finish the milk. Also, regurgitation of air will prevent the occurrence of colic.
During this break, give your child a semi-direct or direct position for a few minutes. It is best to put the newborn on your shoulder so that his hands are on your back. Do not forget to put on your clothes a towel or a rag, because the baby, together with the air, can bry and part of the food. Massage your baby's back or a little pat on the priest.
What else should I consider?
- You can not start feeding your baby when your mom is stressed, irritated, upset or depressed. Try to calm down, take a few deep breaths, then settle comfortably and only after that start the process. Do not forget that the newborn senses everything that is in his mother's soul. And if Mom is tense, this will cause anxiety to the baby.
- It is also not recommended to feed a baby if his condition is restless. In an agitated or crying baby, milk can get into the respiratory tract.
- Never leave a crumb with a bottle and, moreover, do not prop it up with something. In such a situation, there is a great risk that a child may be drowned in milk.
If your baby is mixed and fed from both the mother's breast and the bottle, first give the baby a crumb, then add the mixture.
It is important for newborns to feel mother's care and love. When mom is around, the baby feels safe. And so the physical contact of mom and baby is so important, and feeding is the most suitable moment when you can establish a strong emotional connection with the baby.
Of course, in the case of breastfeeding, it is easier to establish a psychological connection, since the mother interacts physically with the newborn. However, when using a bottle, Mom can also establish emotional contact with a baby, pressing the baby to her body. In addition, its use helps to easily leave a crumb with a dad or other relative who will feed the child.