If the body lacks an enzyme like lactase, then this deficiency can be compensated for by using drugs that include this enzyme. The action of all lactase preparations is the splitting of lactose in the human intestine to glucose monosaccharides and galactose.
The main indication for prescribing drugs, based on the enzyme lactase, is such a digestive problem as lactose intolerance in a child. With this pathological condition, the body lacks lactase to process milk sugar coming from food. And lactase preparations are needed to make up for the lack of this enzyme.
The use of these drugs helps to eliminate symptoms such as diarrhea, colic, flatulence, poor weight gain.
Breastfeeding a child with lactose intolerance in this case can be saved.
- Lactase preparations effectively help reduce the symptoms and symptoms oflactase deficiency and preserve breastfeeding.
- The intake of lactase helps to improve digestion and helps to normalize the intestinal microflora.
The use of lactase preparations allows to significantly expand the diet for people with intolerance to dairy products. If whole milk can be made lactose free, then the milk products can be freed from milk sugar without deterioration of their taste, appearance and consistency. That is why taking lactase helps to include yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese and other dairy products.
Cases of overdose, as well as side effects of these drugs have not been identified.
For breast-feeding infants, lactase preparations are given together with mother's milk. A woman expresses a little milk and dilutes the lactase drug in it, then leaves the milk for ten minutes for fermentation. Milk is given to the child, after which the baby is breast-fed.
For children fed with mixtures, lactase preparations are given along with nutrition. The medicine is poured into the entire volume of the mixture for one feeding and after 10 minutes is given to the child.
For older children
Children over the age of five can be given lactase in capsules, but if the child can not swallow them,capsules in non-hot milk food. The dosage for five-seven-year-olds is two to seven capsules of lactase at a time.
All drugs with lactase are conditionally divided into 2 groups:
- Preparations, lactases for which are synthesized by microorganisms and yeast fungi with activity in a slightly alkaline and neutral medium. These lactases "work" only at pH 6-7, so the scope of their use is limited. They are used only for the fermentation of whole milk just before consumption. These drugs include Lacteide, Lactozym, Maxillact, Lact-Aid.
- Drugs whose lactases are synthesized by fungi that are capable of acting in the acid medium - at a pH of 3.5 to 5. These lactases effectively break down lactose in fermented milk products. To such medicines the drug Laktraza is carried.
Lactase preparations are:
- Lactase. Each capsule contains 3450 units of enzyme. It is recommended during the use of dairy products.
- Lactrause. The drug takes 1-2 capsules before taking the dairy product.
- Tilactase. The drug can be added to dairy products with the calculation of 2 capsules per 1 liter, after which to keep such products in the refrigerator.
- Lactase baby. Each capsule contains 700 ED of the enzyme. It is prescribed to children per 1 capsule for every 100 ml of the mixture or breast milk.
The lactase preparation given to children from the newborn to 7 years of age is Lactase Baby. This drug helps to quickly eliminate the symptoms of lactase deficiency and improve digestion. Its advantage over other lactase preparations is a lower dosage, which makes it possible to better select the right amount of enzyme for one feeding.
The medication is presented in a capsule form, but for children under five years of age it can be given without a capsule( the contents of the capsule are extracted and dissolved in milk with a temperature of not more than +55 degrees).The drug is given during each feeding with food, including lactose.
The dosage is determined by the age of the baby, as well as by the amount of food. For example, children under the age of one year are prescribed one capsule of the drug per 100 ml of milk.