Faced with diarrhea in the child, parents immediately have questions about the nutrition of the baby, because you do not want to aggravate his condition by improper products. Let's understand what you can eat with diarrhea and what foods should be avoided.
Why is it important to follow a diet?
The important task of parents is to give the child food that will improve his condition, and not cause diarrhea. Diet with diarrhea is aimed at restoring the work of the intestine and its microflora, reducing fermentation processes and improving the condition of the mucosa.
The use of a large amount of liquid will not load the digestive tract and additionally irritate it. That's why hard food is limited for a while. All food should be boiled( you can cook for a coup
What should you eat for your child?
The most useful products for diarrhea are:
- Drinks - saline solutions, broth of wild rose, herbal teas, apple juice, decoction of blueberries, black tea, non-carbonated mineral water in a warm form, a decoction of raisins.
- Boiled white rice.
- Liquid porridge of buckwheat, oatmeal, mango, rice. Cook the porridge on the water.
- Apples - baked, boiled.
- Carrots - in the form of mashed potatoes, grated.
- Soup with meatballs. It should be low-fat and "slimy."
- Puree and decoctions of vegetables. Quince of quince, pears, blueberries. Crackers from white bread.
- Steam omelettes, cottage cheese, boiled eggs.
- Steam cutlets from lean meat and fish.
As soon as the baby has diarrhea, give him only tea. This can be fennel tea or chamomile tea. Since there is a lot of fluid lost during diarrhea, the baby needs to drink too much tea. To make up for the lost salts, add sugar and a little salt to the tea, even if the taste of the drink deteriorates.
On the second day, you can transfer the baby to a cereal or apple diet. If you decide to give the child cereals, cook them without milk, add a minimum of salt and do not add oil. You can cook a baby oatmeal( for 25 grams of cereal, take 300 ml of water, cooked porridge wipe and a little salt) or rice( boil 30 grams of cereals until soft and rub, slightly salt).
An alternative to porridges can become apples. Peel the fruit and grate. Give the child 200-500 g of apples during the day, divided into portions. A grated apple can be given a crushed banana. Drinking during these diets can only herbal tea and mineral water.
By the third day the state of the child should improve. Now the baby can be given not only porridge, but also mashed potatoes, croutons, bread, cottage cheese, eggs, lean meat. Any addition to the diet should be gradual. Products that are difficult to digest( fatty meat, fried foods, chocolate and others) can not be given to the child during the recovery period.
Breastfeeding with artificial feeding
In case of diarrhea in a child on artificial feeding and older children already familiar with the lure, it is worth to feed as follows:
- On the first day, give tea from fennel, in which for every 100 ml is added a teaspoon of glucose and a small pinch of salt.
- This tea should be given to the baby twice, and the third method is to make the diluted rice powder( take 4 grams of powder for 100 ml of water), which is supplemented with a teaspoon of glucose. Analogue - rice broth for diarrhea, made at home.
- On the second day you can only give rice powder, to which you can add carrots.
- If on the third day the child's condition is better and there is no temperature, you can go back to normal feeding.
Babies can make soup from carrots. First, fresh carrots( 500 g) are boiled in water( 1 L) for two hours, adding a little salt. To boiled carrots, wiped through a sieve, add water to bring the volume of soup to one liter. You can give such soup from a bottle.
Babies with breastfeeding
For information about what products you need to limit your mother during breastfeeding, read in another article.
If the baby only receives breast milk, breastfeeding should not be stopped.
How does it work?
- Adding salt to the dishes will help to resist dehydration by retaining fluid in the body.
- To add strength to a child, it should be given protein products, for example, boiled chicken, cooked eggs, steam omelet or turkey.
- Since raw fruits and vegetables can enhance diarrhea, their hot treatment is recommended - cooking soups, broths, baking.
- Vegetable food( apples, quince, blueberry and others), thanks to the content of tannins, helps to reduce the inflammatory process in the intestine. Most fruits, especially apples, have properties to resist rotting in the intestine. In addition, fruits contain pectins that help reduce fluid in the contents of the intestines, due to which the stool is normalized.
- Vitamin A contained in carrots will help to restore the intestinal mucosa faster.
- The presence of potassium in bananas, potatoes and fruit juices will help to fill the waste of this important macronutrient with diarrhea.
Foods that can not be eaten
- Very cold food, like very hot food. Such food will be an additional irritant of the digestive tract.
- Foods that have caffeine.
- Fatty foods, including fried foods.
- Carbonated drinks. They will cause additional gas formation in the intestine.
- Dairy products. The intestine of a baby with diarrhea is difficult to digest.
- Nuts, whole grains, bran. Such products are also capable of irritating the gastrointestinal tract.
- Vegetables in raw form, as well as raw fruits.
- Tomato, pineapple, citrus juice.
- Canned and smoked products. Jam, honey, chocolate and other sweets. Dishes with spices or spices.