Such a problem, like diathesis, is known to many parents. What does the famous pediatrician Komarovsky think of her and how does he suggest to act in detecting diathesis in a child?
The word "diathesis" is heard by modern moms, but Komarovsky notes that most mothers treat him incorrectly, not understanding the essence of the term. In the books of foreign pediatricians such a diagnosis does not exist. And this is not surprising, since diathesis is the term of domestic medicine.
Why does diathesis appear?
Explaining what is meant by the term "diathesis", Komarovsky suggests paying attention to the fact that some diseases are noted only in childhood. For example, if an adult eats a strawberry, he will not have reddened and flaky cheeks. According to the famous pediatrician, the body of a growing child has a number of characteristics. They
Komarovsky emphasizes that the health level of any child is affected by two main factors:
- External environment.
First, the baby is affected by the genes that were transmitted to him from the father and mother, and secondly, all the factors that acted on him in utero and after childbirth. This is the ecology of the terrain in which the family lives, and water, and the duration of sleep, and the food consumed, and much more.
All these factors cause a certain constitution of the body. It is she who determines how the child will look, how his internal organs will work, how often he will suffer and what diseases. Diathesis refers to such changes in the constitution in which a child is more prone to a number of diseases or inadequately responds to stimuli.
As Komarovsky notes, diathesis is not a diagnosis or a disease. This word simply describes the predisposition of the infant to certain diseases. And because diathesis can not be treated and cured, because it is impossible to affect the inclination. We can only put the child to a diagnosis of a particular disease that appeared during diathesis, and then treat it.
There are about ten different types of predisposition to diseases, but the most common Komarovsky calls such diathesis:
- Exudative-catarrhal. This type of diathesis is also called allergic, since with it the child is prone to allergic reactions and inflammatory diseases.
- Neuro-arthritis. With such diathesis, the child is noted for increased nervous excitability, as well as a tendency to such pathologies as diabetes, joint diseases, hypertension, obesity.
- Lymphatic-hypoplastic. This type of diathesis is characterized by pathology of lymph nodes and poor thymus work. In this case the child is prone to allergies and infections.
If the nursing mother ate, for example, an orange, then she discovered a rash in the baby, Komarovsky suggests calling it not diathesis, but an allergy. The child has an inflammation that has an allergic nature. And it is caused by diathesis.
A well-known pediatrician names two ways in which the parents act:
- Mom decides that the child has diathesis, there is nothing to be done about it, because heredity is to blame for everything and she had a rash after the orange, but with age she passed away. And continues to eat citrus, since still nothing to do. This way, according to Komarovsky, unfortunately, is very common for our country.
- Mom does not call such a reaction diathesis and does not blame heredity, but stops eating citrus, while the baby is treated for a specific disease - allergic dermatitis.
A popular doctor emphasizes that people are always uncomfortable to feel guilty, so they are more likely to blame the constitution and heredity than change the factors that influence the formation of the constitution and heredity.
Komarovsky claims that the availability of knowledge about correct behavior during pregnancy, the life of a newborn, the features of feeding, sleeping, walking, leisure, tempering and other nuances, and the lack of the desire to constantly treat something helps to avoid diathesis. And to cure the baby, you need to establish the correct diagnosis and treat the disease that developed in the child.
Komarovsky calls this disease the most frequent manifestation of diathesis. It is manifested by redness on the skin, which look like specks, spots, dots, often itch and flake, crack and even ulcerate. It is such a disease in most cases is implied when talking about diathesis.
A well-known doctor claims that the main role in helping a child with allergic dermatitis belongs to parents, not physicians. On the skin of a child with allergic dermatitis, you see only the manifestations of what is happening inside the child's body.
Rash is provoked by the production of antibodies to allergenic substances. It is only the consequence of the contact of the child's body with allergens. And if the doctor can only help reduce the manifestations on the skin, then the parents are able to prevent their appearance. To do this, you just need to find out which way the allergen gets into the body crumbs - through food, through the respiratory system or by contact.
Preventative measures should be directed to all the ways:
- Nutritional. Do not rush to introduce complementary foods and introduce the child to the food that is likely to cause allergies. Parents should carefully choose products for the children's table, and if the manifestations of allergies have increased, keep a diary of nutrition.
- Respiratory. Parents should be on their guard when using aerosols and any highly smelling substances. The source of allergens for crumbs can become a pet and dust.
- Contact. Maximum attention should be given to the quality of the child's clothes, used detergents, the quality of bathing water, and the quality of toys.
Besides this, Komarovsky advises:
- Do not overheat the child. With active sweating, dermatitis will manifest itself more strongly, and a lack of fluid will reduce the excretion of allergenic substances with urine.
- In time to eliminate constipation. They not only increase the manifestations of dermatitis, but they are often the cause.
- Walking often and monitoring the humidity in the room. These measures will support the work of the lungs, so that they can actively remove allergens.
- Do not give medicines on your own initiative. Children with allergic dermatitis should be prescribed only by a doctor.
- Do not dramatize, because such a disease, as a rule, is a temporary phenomenon. With age, immunity, intestines and liver are improved, and, as they say, the child "outgrows".