Expectant mothers often worry that labor is not started before a certain doctors term, but it happens and so, that the term has approached and labor signs allnot yet. Is it dangerous and what is being done if the pregnancy lasts longer than it should be?
terms under which a pregnancy is considered post-term
average normal pregnancy lasts 40 weeks - during which time the fetus is developing so that can exist independently outside the mother's womb.
Most doctors called a period in which pregnancy becomes post-term, 42 weeks, but this can also be a pregnancy after 40 weeks if the changed state of the placenta and
If a woman is already the fruit of 41-42 weeks, but the signs of over-maturity of the child and the beginning of the aging of the placenta no such pregnancy called prolonged.
With her, a child is born later than expected, but is healthy and full. One of the reasons for this "delay" of a normally developed baby inside the womb is the long menstrual cycle of a woman before conception.
True perenashivanie observed in women, gestation has exceeded 40 weeks, but in the placenta began to show signs of aging, and the fetal condition deteriorated. This pregnancy leads to the birth of an overripe fetus.
In the accompanying video, you can find out more about the causes of a pregnant pregnancy and how to determine it.
Among the triggers of overexposure factors are called:
- Menstrual irregularities in women before pregnancy.
- Undeveloped female genitalia.
- Infectious diseases before pregnancy and during gestation.
- Endocrine diseases of a future mother, for example, diabetes mellitus or thyroid pathology.
- Diseases of the digestive tract and liver in a pregnant woman.
- Inflammatory diseases of the genital organs of a woman. Tumors in the uterus.
- Pregnancy gestosis.
- Abortion in the past.
- Reduced physical activity of the pregnant.
- Mental trauma or emotional shock. Bed rest of the expectant mother for a long period.
- Medical prevention of miscarriage.
- Age of mother over 35 years of age at first pregnancy.
- The pathological course of a previous pregnancy or the birth of a large fetus.
- Great weight of the future mother.
- Pelvic presentation of the infant.
- Malformations of the fetus( adrenal, central nervous system, kidney and other organs).
Overdose pregnancy manifests itself:
- Decreased volume of amniotic fluid. This leads to a reduction in the girth of the abdomen to 10 cm and a decrease in weight by 1 kg or more.
- Decreased turgor of a woman's skin.
- The absence of flakes in the amniotic fluid.
- Sometimes there is no flat bubble of water, which is located over the head of the baby.
- A greenish or grayish shade of water due to the ingress of meconium into them.
- The denser structure of the uterus and the immature neck.
- The beginning of isolation from the nipples is not colostrum, but milk.
- Detection of signs of hypoxia of the baby.
Babies who are born because of a pregnant pregnancy are noted:
- A wrinkled and dry skin with little or no initial lubrication on its surface.
- Greenish shade of skin.
- Insufficient amount of subcutaneous fat.
- Condensed cranial bones with narrow fontanelles and sutures.
- Large weight and large growth.
- Long nails.
- Changed head shape.
The latter will have a green color, and in the tissues of the placenta, it is possible to identify petrifications( hardened areas).
- 1 stage - the fetal activity increases, and the heart rate increases. Amblerous waters diminish slightly. Often this stage is observed at the 41st week of gestation.
- 2 stage - the changes in the uterus begin, which are manifested by increased tonus and a higher standing of the bottom. The abdominal girth begins to decrease every day. This stage is diagnosed at 42 and 43 weeks of gestation.
- Stage 3 - blood flow in the placenta is broken, resulting in hypoxic damage to the fetus. Such a stage occurs very rarely these days, because already at 1-2 stages of re-shuffling, doctors should take measures to stimulate the onset of labor.
First of all, gestational gestation is determined, counting it from the last menstruation( and if the exact dates of conception or ovulation are known, then from them), and also on the basis of the first movements and data of the ultrasound.
Next, the pregnant woman is examined and the abdominal circumference, the height of the uterus bottom, the weight of the future mother are determined. Undoubtedly, a gynecological examination is performed( it will reveal the neck and fetal head changes unprepared for birth) and ultrasound( it will help to detect water loss and the presence of inclusions in them).
After carrying out dopplerography, placenta aging is judged( by its blood flow), and cardiotocography helps to detect hypoxia in the fetus. In some cases, resort to cervical amnioscopic examination( if a woman's cervix is soft and slightly ajar).Finally, you can confirm postponement only after childbirth, revealing the symptoms of fetal overrip.
What is the danger of endurance?
Pregnancy, which lasted longer than expected, may result in complicated births, sometimes with the need for surgical intervention and an unfavorable outcome. Babies born with this pregnancy have a 2-5 fold increase in the risk of damage to the nervous system due to hypoxia, because due to dense bones of the skull and insufficient lubrication, fetal movement through the birth canal is difficult.
Tactics of delivery
At term of pregnancy 41 weeks the future mum is hospitalized in a maternity home to solve a question on delivery.
Pregnancy during mating may end in the spontaneous onset of labor, but often it is necessary to initiate labor activity artificially.
If the cervix is still immature, a few days of local treatment using a hormonal gel or tablets. Such preparations soften the cervix and dilate the cervical canal. Further, medications are prescribed, the action of which is stimulation of uterine contractions. In the process of giving birth, the heartbeat of the fetus is continuously monitored.
. If the crumbs acutely develop hypoxia, the woman is noted for weak labor or a clinically narrow pelvis, and in a number of other cases, the endured pregnancy ends with an operation.
Possible complications in childbirth for mother and child
If the pregnancy is delayed, the following situations may occur during childbirth:
- The delivery process may be delayed.
- Amblerous water pours prematurely.
- Generic activities can become discoordinated.
- It is possible to develop atonic or hypotonic bleeding.
- Increased risk of infectious complications, such as endometritis or mastitis.
- The child develops hypoxia, which threatens with hypoxic birth trauma.
- Possible serious complications such as asphyxia.
- Mechanical birth injuries may occur.
- The risk of aspiration of amniotic fluid contaminated with meconium increases, which is the cause of pneumonia in the newborn.
After the birth, the uterus can contract badly, which threatens with accumulation of lolly and difficulties with their release from the uterus.
Consequences for the newborn child
In children who were born overripe, may develop:
- Severe jaundice.
- The hormonal crisis.
- Skin infections.
- Neurological pathologies.
- Development delay.
To prevent problems caused by a delayed pregnancy, the expectant mother should be more careful about her health. She can be advised:
- To plan pregnancy and prepare for it.
- Regularly visit a doctor during pregnancy.
- In time to take all the tests and perform designated examinations.
- Do not avoid moderate exercise during pregnancy( if there are no complications).The optimal choice will be gymnastics, breathing practices and swimming.
- Do not abandon pre-examination and hospitalization if signs of overstretching appear.