- 1. When is the first bath allowed?
- 2. What to prepare for the reception of the first home bath?
- 3. Herbal extract or manganese?
- 4. Basic rules for the first bath
- 5. Additional tips for
The newborn is a great joy in the family, but also no less responsible. It's good, when the child comes to the house to the prepared mummy( at least theoretically), who owns the basics of caring for such a crumb. This will avoid many of the health problems of the child and will save the nerves of the parents.
One of the main elements of caring for a child is his first bathing. Special trembling in young parents is caused by the first procedure. Bathing newborn babies is easy if you follow a few simple recommendations of the dist
In what terms is the first bath allowed?
The first bathing of a newborn is practically a sacrament. When can you bathe your child for the first time after the hospital? It depends on the general condition of the newborn and the condition of his umbilical remnant.
If the umbilical remainder lasts longer, the child's body must necessarily be treated with wet wipes, or bathe the baby in a small amount of boiled water as agreed with the pediatrician. At the same time, it is absolutely impossible to wet the stump.
In occasion of, in boiled or raw water to bathe the kid after dropping of stump, opinions of pediatricians diverge. Many recommend bathing a child in boiled water until healing of the umbilical wound. Others believe that the wound after bathing is enough to handle, and water can be used flowing, because if water is used to remove the original lubricant in the newborn's ward, it is running water from a centralized water pipe.
What should I prepare for the reception of the first home bath?
- baby bath;
- thermometer for measuring water temperature;
- soft terry towel;
- a weak solution of potassium permanganate( manganese);
- small plastic ladle;
- cotton buds( preferably having a special limiter);
- brilliant green( green);
- hydrogen peroxide.
For the first bathing of a newborn it is better to use a special baby bath, which must be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected beforehand by scalding it with boiling water( recommend reading: bathing baths for newborns).However, according to Dr. Komarovsky, the first bathing may well take place in an "adult" bath. In his book "The Beginning of Life" he writes that in a large bath nothing blocks the movements of the baby - it can move handles and legs, respectively, improves the circulation of the body, respiratory functions. Plus, in the "adult" bath the newborn, actively moving, spends a lot of energy, which allows him to taste better after bathing and sweetly fall asleep.
What will be the water temperature for the first bath? For measurement, a thermometer is needed - it allows you to determine the optimum water temperature. Due to the immaturity of the thermoregulatory functions of the newborn's body, fluctuations in temperature, which seem insignificant for an adult, can lead to overcooling or overheating of the baby.
What kind of towel to choose for crumbs? Soft and gentle, plus it should be individual, clean and large enough to wrap the baby's body. The skin of the baby is still very tender and can easily be traumatized.
Use a loofah, especially hard, for a newborn is strongly discouraged. In the future, you need to choose a soft whisk or a mitten to avoid damage to the baby's skin until a year. Toys during the first month of life when bathing crumbs are absolutely not needed.
Detergents, baby shampoos and even baby soap modern pediatricians are not advised to use for a few months the life of the baby. First, the soap will dry up the skin, secondly, it will wash away the beneficial microflora. An exception is the situation in which the mother discovers poor-quality treatment of the baby's skin in the ward of the newborn: for example, the presence of original grease or traces of blood. This should not be, but if it happens, you should use a baby soap that is applied with a cotton swab and gently washed off with a scoop.
Herbal extract or manganese?
For the first bath it is better to use a weak aqueous solution of potassium permanganate. The water in the tub should be pale pink. If mommy doubts the saturation of the solution, before the first bath it is worth consulting with the district pediatrician who will visit the baby the day after discharge.
Basic rules of the first bathing
- the child should not be sleepy or upset;
- the kid should be healthy;
- procedure time is about 10 minutes;
- water is poured into the bathroom by about 15 cm( the baby's breast should not be immersed in water);
- water temperature is not more than 37 C;
- position of the kid - on the elbow of the mother's arm;
- after the procedure, the baby is wrapped in a towel and on the hard surface( changing table), the baby's skin is dried by soothing movements( rubbing the baby's skin is strongly discouraged), special attention should be paid to the inguinal folds, axillae and neck of crumbs;
- then follows mandatory processing of umbilical cord;
- up to 6 months of bathing a child is recommended every day, at a later date - you can every other day( we recommend reading: why to bathe the newborn every day?).
We present to you an available lesson of the first bathing of a newborn:
https: //www.youtube.com/ watch? V = pH3Ir_O5tMo
The umbilical wound is treated with hydrogen peroxide and a brilliant green. The processing time is until the healing of the umbilical wound. To determine that the wound has healed, it is very simple - dropping peroxide into the wound, you will not hear a hiss, and the liquid will not foam. Until then, after each bath, treatment is mandatory. It is better to buy a bottle with a dispenser, if it did not work, drip peroxide with a pipette, 2-3 drops. Then the wound is thoroughly soaked with a cotton swab and greased with a greenery( carefully, so as not to get on the skin of the umbilical ring and do not cause it to burn).More tips can be found in the video lecture of pediatrician Komarovsky at the end of the article.
Additional tips for
The first bathing of the baby is a responsible business, the district pediatrician will give competent advice on how to do it correctly. But sometimes this is not enough. A convenient way to see how to conduct the procedure is a video. The famous pediatrician, Dr. Komarovsky, did not bypass his advice and the first bathing of crumbs.
- If you use baby soaps, then first lather, then limbs and genitals.
- Then the crumb is turned on the stomach, its head and chest are on the mother's hand, and the other hand is washing the back.
- The head is soaped last, watching that the detergent does not get into the eyes.
- The baby is rinsed with a scoop.
- Do not forget about air baths.
The first bathing of a newborn causes a lot of questions among newly-made parents. More details with the rules of washing babies can be found by listening to a lecture by Yevgeny Komarovsky.