Sometimes a woman who has recently become a mother does not know what to think, when all her efforts to clean up the abdomen after delivery are unsuccessful. With a balanced diet and adequate physical exercise, the abdominal muscles not only do not regain their former tone, but start to bulge even more. The reason for such a strange "behavior" of the body can be a diastasis of the abdominal muscles - it is this pathology that prevents a woman from regaining her former harmony.
- Diastasis after delivery - what is it?
- Who becomes available the target of diastase
- Symptoms of diastase
- Diagnosis of diastase
- Degrees of development of diastase
- How to remove diastasis after childbirth: the main inhibitions of
- What to do with diastasis after childbirth
- Exercises for diastasis after childbirth
- Specificity of therapeutic gymnastics
- Surgical intervention for diastase
- Diastase: dispel myths
- Coach about diastase. Video
Diastasis of the abdomen after childbirth - what is this
To understand what the pathology is with this diagnosis, you need, first of all, to know the specificity of the anatomical location of the muscles of the anterior abdominal wall. Straight muscles of the press connects tendon fibers interwoven with a strong mesh. Abdominal white line - this is the place of convergence of these muscles. When this ligament expands for one reason or another, and the straight muscles part ways, they talk about their diastase.
The primary cause of pathology can be considered an innate weakness of the connective tissue of the lower part of the white line. Under the influence of constantly increasing intra-abdominal pressure during pregnancy and childbirth, this area is strongly stretched and does not return to its former position. This is also facilitated by the active synthesis of relaxin, one of the hormones of pregnancy. The substance softens and deprives the tonus of the muscle fibers, thus making the ligamentous complex of muscles and pelvic joints more mobile. This is how the diastasis of the muscles after delivery:
Who becomes available as the target of diastase
The following categories of women fall into the risk group:
- pregnant with a large child;
- pregnant with several babies;
- pregnant in the second( third or fourth) times;
- with the diagnosis of polyhydramnios.
In addition to such obvious reasons for the development of diastasis, like pregnancy and a high degree of stress in the process of childbirth, there are other factors that contribute to the appearance of pathology. Among them we can distinguish:
- enhanced physical activity with improper technique of performing exercises;
- prolonged intense cough, which is accompanied by strong straining;
- loss of muscle tone due to sudden fluctuations in body weight( for example, rapid weight loss);
- predisposition to the development of a hernia.
Symptoms of diastase
Among the obvious signs of diastasis after childbirth, we can note the following:
- unnaturally convex navel;
- bulging round stomach, even if after the birth has already passed a lot of time;
- regular constipation;
- permanent pain in the back and lower back;
- appearance of fatty ridges in the abdomen.
If you have at least one of these symptoms, you can suspect the presence of diastasis after childbirth.
Diagnosis of diastase
Confirm the fears about diastasis will help the following test: lie with your back on a flat hard surface, bend your knees, putting your feet on the floor. Bring one hand behind your head while straining your abdominal muscles. The second hand at this time, feel the longitudinal region in the middle of the abdomen. Diastasis will be indicated by the presence of the fossa immediately under the navel or directly at the navel site. Knowing how to determine diastasis after childbirth, the development of the disease can be guessed even before visiting a doctor.
Do not panic if you feel "huge holes" under your fingers in the first few weeks after the birth of the baby. At this time, the connective tissue is still very soft and vulnerable. Competent execution of special exercises and, most importantly, time will restore her strength and elasticity, and the pits of diastase will decrease noticeably.
Degrees of development of diastase
When pathology is not present, the distance between the rectus abdominal muscles does not exceed 2 cm. The degree of pathology depends on the interval between the xiphoid process and the navel. To understand what treatment to prescribe to eliminate diastasis of the abdomen after childbirth, the doctor will first determine the degree of pathology.
The flow of diastase is characterized by 3 stages:
- In the first stage, the straight muscles diverges a maximum of 5-7 cm along the white band. This anatomical metamorphosis does not affect the appearance of the abdomen and is considered normal after the first birth. A woman may be disturbed by episodic nausea, pain in the epigastric region, unpleasant sensations when walking, occasionally - constipation.
- The second stage of diastase of straight muscles after delivery is diagnosed when the muscle divergence exceeds 7 cm. It is noticeable that the lateral muscles of the abdomen are not in good shape.
- In the third stage of the disease, the size of the fovea between the straight muscles is more than 10 cm. On this soil, the umbilical or abdominal hernia can be diagnosed in the woman, there is a risk of muscle fibers atrophy and displacement of the internal organs. A heavily sagging belly can even limit the patient's ability to work.
How to remove diastasis after childbirth: the main inhibitions of
To eliminate this pathology, a woman needs to understand what in her position can not be done in order not to aggravate her condition even more. First of all, you need to minimize pressure on the weakened abdominal wall. For this there is a list of special prohibitions:
- Do not pick up items that weigh more than 5 - 6 kg. When lifting light objects, bend your arms at the elbows, and do not stretch them.
- To hold on your hands or shake the child, you must always wear a post-partum bandage or tightly pull the stomach with a cloth.
- With a cough, lightly press the palm over your stomach - this will prevent it from excessive inflation.
- It is possible to climb from the bed and lie down on it only when lying on its side. To get up from the chair, first focus on the legs and transfer the weight of the body to one of the buttocks, while drawing in the stomach and turning the semicircle body in either direction.
- Try to keep a smooth posture all the time - stoop and strongly flex in the lower back during diastase.
- Sleep on your back or side, but in no case on your stomach, otherwise pressure on the abdominal muscles will increase at times.
What to do with diastase after childbirth
Diastasis is a pathology that, unfortunately, not only does not pass by itself on time, but is even worse. Features of the treatment of this disease are determined by its stage of development. So, diastasis I and II degree can be eliminated with the help of special gymnastics aimed at strengthening the anterior abdominal wall and the lateral muscles of the abdomen, due to which the direct muscles will be reduced. Correction of the third degree of pathology can be carried out exclusively through surgical intervention.
Exercises for diastase after childbirth
From time to time, force the muscles into the stomach for 30 seconds, then relax and after a few seconds repeat the exercise again. The frequency of performance during the day can be anything, the main thing is not to exercise until the painful sensations appear in the abdomen.
- Lie on your back, raise your head slightly and tear your shoulders off the floor, hold this position for 30 seconds. Repeat 30 times.
- Lie back on the floor, bending your knees. Exhale and tear off the pelvis from the floor. When you reach the top point, strain the muscles of the press and buttocks. Do 3 sets of 10 times.
- When in the starting position from the previous exercise, raise the straight leg upwards so that a right angle is formed between it and your body, then return to the previous position. Repeat 10 times for each leg.
- Press your back against the wall, put your feet at a distance from it so that an angle of approximately 450 between them and the wall forms. Between the knees, tighten the ball of medium size. Now start to crouch slowly until the thighs are parallel to the floor. Hold in this position for 20 - 30 seconds and return to the starting position. Repeat 10 to 20 times.
As you can see, the exercises are very simple, but they will not be left from the diastasis of stages I and II and the trace, provided that you practice regularly( ideally every day).
Please note! The upper abdominal muscles( usual straight press) can not be loaded with diastase - such exercises will only contribute to an even greater divergence of muscles. It is also contraindicated to lift the upper or lower part of the body separately, so as not to inflate the inner cavity of the abdomen.
Specificity of therapeutic gymnastics
To achieve successful results and eliminate diastase for good, you need to do it right. First of all, it concerns breathing and correct retraction of the abdomen.
To the front muscles of the abdominal wall drawn in a natural way, take the baby more often in your arms - this will give the load to the deep transverse abdominal muscles that surrounds the torso like a corset. As for breathing, during the exercise, you need to breathe in deeply through your nose, making sure that the lungs are filled with air gradually, and your belly swells slowly. Exhale through the mouth, imagining how during the emptying of the lungs the muscles of the abdomen go up, like an elevator.
Surgical intervention with diastase
The solution to the problem of abnormal rectal abdominal disruption by surgery is to remove the diastasis hole and strengthen the abdominal wall. In fact, the operation brings both cosmetic and functional positive fruit. Bear in mind that the surgeon should be treated in exceptional cases: with stage III diastasis, when there is a danger of serious complications in the work of internal organs.
There are two operational ways to eliminate diastasis:
- Stretch plastic of "native" tissues, when the edges of diastase are pulled together by stitching muscles and ligaments.
- Non-stretch plastic with the use of special prostheses in the form of a grid. The prosthesis is attached to the edges of the diastase so that it brings together its edges and blocks the whole area of pathology. After about 2 months, the mesh of the prosthesis is covered with connective tissue and a dense anatomical septum appears between the rectus muscles of the abdominal wall.
In the photo diastasis after childbirth and after surgery.
Rehabilitation after stretch plastics takes a fairly long period of time, during which you can not lift objects weighing more than 10 kg. The first 3 months after the operation, a woman needs to perform a special set of exercises, which will provide the muscles of her press with an adequate load to return to the "pre-pregnancy" form.
If during the operation the surgeon has applied a minimally invasive procedure, getting up from bed to the patient will be recommended on the first day after the procedure. At the same time it is necessary to wear a bandage, which will be an indispensable part of the woman's wardrobe for another month. The next day after a minimally invasive operation, the patient can go home.
Constant physical activity should be administered 2 weeks after the operation to eliminate diastasis. In the usual way of life you can fully immerse yourself in about 5 weeks.
Diastasis: We dispel the myths of
About diastase, as well as about any other disease, there are a lot of delusions that can simply confuse a woman and thereby prevent her from thinking rationally when the issue of eliminating pathology becomes. Here are the most common myths about diastase that should not be taken seriously:
- disease provokes irreparable changes in the abdomen and abdominal cavity - it is useless to struggle;
- diastase can only be removed by surgery;
- diastase is the cause of regular bloating and flatulence;
- the discrepancy of muscles during diastase is necessarily accompanied by pain;
- muscles affected by diastasis will remain stricken forever.
In order not to become a victim of such false truths, all your doubts and concerns should be discussed with a competent expert.
Statistics state that for about 40% to 45% of women in labor, the problem of diastase becomes a reality, however, many people avoid surgery. With an elementary desire and perseverance from pathology, you can get rid of by simple physical exercises. It is important to remember that diastase does not have the property of self-elimination and it can be defeated only by its active actions.