- 1. Source of nightmares
- 2. How to identify fears?
- 3. How to deal with nightly fears?
- 4. Do I need to see a doctor?
- 5. Prevention and treatment of
- 6. How to grow a bold kid?
- 7. How to behave to parents?
- 8. Baby imagination is the source of the night alarm
- 9. Sleeping room
Today we will talk about the worst nightmare of any parent - when a child wakes up at night with a tantrum, and it can not be calmed down. To many, this situation does not seem to be anything supernatural - it happens that kids wake up at night from crying, but then quietly sleep on.
Most of the tips from doctors and other parents about how to calm a child is designed specifically for this situation. They provide for the establishment and strict observance of the daily routine and evening procedures before going to bed, long walks in the fresh air, massage, relaxing baths. All these recommendations do work, but not in the case whe
Source of nightmares
There are no such children who would not be afraid of anything at all. At the same time, fears that persist for a long time should attract the attention of parents. Their appearance is always due to certain factors and rarely happens from scratch. Among the most common ones we can note:
- severe pregnancy with mother;
- pathological situations during childbirth;
- serious diseases;
- surgery( especially anesthesia);
- lack of communication with the mother;
- a variety of psychological trauma;
- an abundance of impressions and an overload of the nervous system;
- tense atmosphere in the family - quarrels between parents, physical aggression on their part, stresses and conflicts.
Reasons for the appearance of fears are usually taken from:
- of the child's daily life - change of residence, school, kindergarten, changes in the environment, conflict situations;
- situation inside the family - the emergence of a new family member, including the birth of a younger brother or sister, the death of relatives, the divorce of parents;
- media - television, radio and the Internet contain a lot of negative information: stories and broadcasts of crimes, disasters and terrorist attacks, journalistic investigations, documentaries.
How to identify fears?
Nightly fears in children usually appear even before the year, starting at 6 months, and are associated with the developmental features of the baby. In 2 - 3 years, children are afraid to be alone, in 4-6 they are scared by the darkness and various monsters and monsters, which is reflected in their dreams. Characteristic features of nightmares are:
- they usually begin 2 to 2.5 hours after falling asleep, usually between 1 and 3 hours;
- duration - from 5 to 20 minutes, with a sudden start and end of hysteria;
- repeatability several times during the night;
- the child abruptly wakes up, screams and cries, opens his eyes, but he does not notice anything around and does not react to anything;
- during an attack there is increased sweating and shortness of breath;
- the child wakes up in hysterics, but does not react at all to the appearance of the parents, because they are not aware of their presence or of themselves;
- can not calm a child's tantrum or switch his attention to anything else;
- is not a conscious aggression towards parents and attempts to smash the premises in which it is located.
How to deal with night fears?
Hysterics and nightmares at night pass by themselves with age, but the implementation of some simple recommendations can ease the period of their course. You should:
- remain calm - such problems are often encountered in toddlers aged 3 to 5 years and are not as bad as you think;
- constantly be near the baby - your task is not to let him in such a state cause harm to himself and others;
- does not remind the child of the incident, so as not to amplify his experiences;
- to try to prevent the appearance of nightmares, having awakened the baby about 30 minutes after falling asleep - so you will avoid another attack;
- give the child the opportunity to sleep, increasing the sleep time and organizing a day's rest, which is especially important for children under 3 years old;
- do not allow the toddler to overwork - watch his workloads during the day, for children 7 to 10 years with the refusal of a night's sleep change the time of recovery or release;
- show your child your concern - a close trustful relationship will help calmly discuss the situation and try to find the source of its appearance.
Do I need to see a doctor?
In most situations, it is enough to help parents to overcome nightmares, but in some cases it is necessary to contact specialists. Parents should be alerted to the following symptoms:
- the duration of the attack is more than 30 minutes;
- nightmares come closer to the morning;
- during an attack speech is broken, behavior becomes inadequate;
- the kid with his actions during hysteria can do himself harm;
- fears do not pass in the afternoon;
- the cause of nightmares is the situation in the family - conflicts, parents' divorce, domestic violence;
- over time, attacks are getting stronger and lasting more than a year;
- nightmares and hysterics affect the behavior of the baby during the day;
- during the nightmares and hysterics of the baby, there are incontinence attacks.
. Particular attention should be given to the course of night attacks in the presence of convulsive readiness in children, expressed in:
- sharp head movements;
- of nervous tics and rolling of the eyes;
- tongue poking out;
- attacks of enuresis, repeated several times per night;
- false croup;
- bronchial asthma.
All these symptoms only aggravate the situation with childhood hysterics and nightmares. Reasons for immediate medical attention are attacks accompanied by:
- motor excitation;
- loss of consciousness.
Prevention and treatment of
. The nightmares are rarely treated with medications, the usual cause of their appearance is usually eliminated. In cases where the source of their occurrence is a physical or mental illness - is being treated. If the nightmares are the result of stress or distress in the baby - a consultation with a child psychologist or psychiatrist is necessary. Sometimes drugs can be prescribed to reduce the phase of rapid eye movements or prevent night wakes - this is done only in cases of serious sleep disorders in the child.
The psychologist should study the circumstances of the occurrence of children's fears. During communication with the baby, he determines the source of nightmares, the degree of their danger and the measures to combat them. The main methods of diagnosis are drawings, role plays and staging scenes - in them, using the example of heroes, you can learn and analyze the causes of fears, discuss their consequences.
Behavior of children best shows what kind of family atmosphere, how parents behave. It is they who, by their example, form the models of the behavior of the child, which can lead to excessive fearfulness or distrust of others.
Working with childhood nightmares involves eliminating the immediate cause of fear. It should be explained to the child that it is absolutely normal and natural to be afraid, because fear helps to avoid dangerous situations. Parents should often tell him that there is nothing shameful in fears, they need to be accepted and learned to live with them.
How to grow a brave kid?
In order for a child to grow bold and active, certain efforts must be made, and such recommendations can help in achieving this:
- do not humiliate, but do not make the child and his desire the main thing;
- treat him as an equal, respect his personality;
- do not frighten the kid and do not punish him without good reason;
- make sure that he has enough communication with different people - relatives, peers, friends;
- do together with the child various crafts, do creativity with him - so you can monitor his mental state and neutralize the fears that appear in time;
- more often hug and kiss the baby - physical contact with parents will help to feel your care and protection;
- watch the atmosphere in the family - trust, respect and love will help to reduce, or even completely get rid of fears.
How to behave to parents?
You can overcome childish fears by following the following principles:
- Respect the child and his fears, do not laugh at them and do not deny them. The higher participation and attention to the problem will have a greater effect than the statements from the series "You're already great to be afraid of the dark!", "Stop inventing yourself!" And the like.
- Do not be ashamed and do not blame the child for his experiences - so you will only intensify the anxiety and lead to a feeling of guilt. Let him know that even the "real men" have the right to be afraid.
- Do not try to force the child to overcome fear directly, for example, leaving him alone in a dark room. Offer him your help and support: take a look at all the "terrible" places where he sees various dangers, look into the cupboards, under the bed, into the dark corners. No one there to find, the child will quickly believe in the unfoundedness of their experiences and calm down.
- When a child behaves badly, do not frighten him with different monsters and villains and do not threaten to give it to someone.
Baby imagination is the source of the night alarm
All children are not alike - each of them has their own fantasies and their own opinion about everything. They can create for themselves an object of nightmares, and a more developed imagination will only give them greater realism. Use these abilities of the child can and to overcome fears.
Contact the child to find out the source of fear. Help the child to separate his experiences from himself and overcome them, having learned to change and control his feelings. Try for this:
- together with the kid to compose a story with a good ending, which tells about the method of victory over fear;
- make a drawing where the fear would be portrayed, and then break it - simultaneously destroying both the picture and helping the kid take control of his emotions.
Try to provide the child with a personal room, if you are allowed to do it your opportunities. The situation in the nursery should create a cozy and soothing atmosphere:
- Provide a good soundproofing in the nursery so that nothing will disturb the baby's sleep.
- Maintain an optimal microclimate in the room - Dr. Komarovsky recommends for children a temperature of 18 - 20 ° C and humidity of about 50 - 70%.
- Regularly ventilate the room and do wet cleaning.
- Use bed linen only from natural fabrics. It should always be fresh and clean, calm colors in light colors. You can also use bed linens with your favorite baby's characters.
- Take care of the safety of the sleeper, check the absence of sharp protrusions.
- Using a radio or video babysitter will allow you to learn about a restless dream of a baby in a timely manner if he has his own room.
- A special night light or a favorite toy, taken with you to bed, will protect you from monsters and drive away fears.
https: //youtu.be/ Pi94YDLRIBE