- 1. WHO Recommendations
- 1.1. Rules for introducing complementary foods
- 1.2. Are all ages obedient to feeding?
- 2. Feed introduction table for
- 2.1. Algorithm for introduction of complementary foods
- 2.2. Patience and love - the pledge of a good appetite
Lure is today introduced by one of two techniques that are radically different from each other. At the heart of each of them lies its own concept.
- Pediatric complementary feeding. Its basis - the belief that a child older than 4-6 months begins to lack the energy value of mother's milk or a mixture. Replenish the shortage of necessary elements called for the introduction of new products into the baby's diet.
- Pedagogical lure is the second type of technology, which involves continued lactation for up to a year or more. Acquaintance with new products is familiarized with and does not aim to fill the lack of energy needs. The child, according to this complementary technology, tries absolutely everything that parents eat, while the food is not crushed and not ground in mashed potatoes.
What is the point of view adopted by the World Health Organization in this matter? It takes a neutral position, as we will discuss later.
Research and scientific facts made it possible to formulate the basic rules for the nutrition of children under 2 years old. Broad coverage took the issue of developing a concept for the nutrition of young children, including complementary foods, which was discussed at a global conference attended by WHO and UNICEF specialists. A number of provisions were adopted.
Rules for the introduction of complementary foods
- The best food is breast milk. Having a choice between natural and artificial feeding, preference should be given to the first. Breastfeeding creates ideal conditions for the child's harmonious development.
- Lure for medical reasons. The first six months of life the baby is exclusively breastfed. The absence of any other indication of a medical nature provides for the introduction of complementary foods after 6 months. Before this period the child does not need additional drinking and eating. Lactation should be kept for up to 2 years or more.
- Balanced power. Food for baby should be rich in useful minerals and vitamins, as well as fit the capabilities of the child's body. The volume of food should be compared with the age norms. To introduce new products into the diet should be gradually, in small doses. The growth of the baby involves an increase in the amount of food consumed.
- A variety of tastes. According to the approved WHO supplementary feeding scheme, the food of the child must be varied. The children's diet must include vegetables, cereals, poultry, meat, eggs and fish. Lack of breast milk can be replenished with mineral and vitamin complexes, which could add nutritional value to the daily diet.
- Adaptation of food according to age. At the age of 6 months the child begins to eat fried food, puree or semi-hard. From the age of 8 months, it is possible to switch to eating foods that you can eat with your hands. After a year of the baby, you can begin to feed the food, which is used by the rest of the family.
- Continuation of lactation. The mother's milk remains the main food. Lure, according to WHO, is introduced to meet increasing energy needs, because with age the child becomes more active. Mother's milk must receive the baby in the required amount. Tandem "mom-baby" and feeding "on demand" is maintained for up to a year and even up to two.
https: //www.youtube.com/ watch? V = jxp_nYUxCPU
Are all ages obedient to the lure?
The description of the rules and actions is presented above in accordance with the opinions of the whole consultation of specialists. Among other things, parents should take into account the individual characteristics and readiness of their child to introduce complementary foods. A baby, lagging behind in weight gain, will require earlier start of complementary feeding - a 4-month age in this case will be justified. Another child feels great and develops fully, eating only my mother's milk. Perhaps, in this case, the introduction of complementary foods should begin closer to 8 months.
Yakov Yakovlev, an expert from ACEV, argues that a 6-month-old age is not some compulsory number, but only an average time for starting complementary foods. It is preferable to start the introduction of new products a little later. Mom children on artificial or breastfeeding, whose children are gaining weight well, can quite heed this advice. The only indicator for an earlier start of complementary feeding is underweight.
Table What are the practical recommendations of the WHO for the introduction of new products in the children's menu? We offer you a supplementary table by month according to WHO( for 90 days):
The World Health Organization points out the importance of the following points:
- It is difficult to keep balance when switching to new products. Not only the body of the child is struggling with the assimilation of new types of food, but the food itself may not be nutritious enough. Experts of the World Health Organization note that many children under the age of 5 do not receive the necessary amount of nutritious and energy products. The child's diet should be balanced and full, and be offered in sufficient quantities.
- Safety of products. When cooking, you need to make it as safe as possible for the baby. Properly cooked food will reduce the risk of intestinal infections.
- Interest in the new is encouraged. The interest in new foods for a child should be maintained and developed, helping him to become acquainted with new types of foods.
Algorithm for introducing complementary foods
WHO step-by-step instructions to moms are as follows:
- Patience. The introduction of complementary feeding requires maximum sensitivity from the mother. Be prepared for the fact that not everything that you cook, a crumb will appreciate. Be patient, do not shout and make you eat. When eating, talk in a soft voice, establish eye contact. Feeding should be slow, slowly.
- Cleanliness. Do not forget about the hygiene of cutlery and plates, as well as careful washing of the products. Teach your baby to eat clean. To do this, always wipe the soiled table and do not forget to remove traces of food from the face and hands of the child.
- Gradual product introduction. Familiarity with new products should start with small portions. With a positive reaction of the body, gradually increase the volume.
- Adapt the food. The consistency of dishes should correspond to the age norms. The more grown-up baby gets a more varied consistency of products.
- Number of feedings by age. Consider age recommendations for feeding children. Lure for a baby 6 months is introduced 2-3 times a day. This number increases to 4, when the baby grows a little. When you have an appetite between the feeds, you can add 1 or 2 snacks.
- Consider the child's preferences. Try to make the child like the food that you offer him. The lack of interest in a dish can be changed by experimenting with a combination or consistency of products.
- Increase the amount of drinking. After a year, when breast milk is consumed less, you should drink your child more often with various compotes, baby sugars without sugar or children's teas. Patience and love - a pledge of good appetite
It is strictly forbidden to force a child to eat food. The introduction of complementary foods should be voluntary. Violence in this plan will lead to the child's abandonment of any kind of food. Create favorable conditions for testing new products so that the child likes this process. Positive attitude of parents, caress and attention - these are the main satellites of the beginning of a new activity.
Introduction of complementary foods is an important stage in the life and development of the child. The correct motivation and easy mastering will help in the end to get a well-eating baby, and not a stubborn and a little one. All WHO tips are designed to organize feeding as safely and comfortably as possible. Considering the advice of specialists, you guarantee your child a harmonious development based on a healthy and balanced diet.
https: //www.youtube.com/ watch? V = -dUopzLWBp8