- 1. Feeding periods
- 2. Optimal periods for discontinuing natural feeding
- 3. Lactation termination and possible consequences
- 4. How to determine a child's readiness for change?
- 5. Popular methods of failure
- 6. Additional recommendations of
The benefits of mother's milk are undeniable, but sooner or later the moment comes when we have to wean the child from breastfeeding. In some mothers, this process is calm and caused by the growing up of the child, others are forced to stop giving the breast due to external circumstances. It is important to set up the ablation in such a way that it passes painlessly and gradually. In this case, neither the nursing mother nor her baby will be subjected to psychological stress.
. Feeding periods.
. For a painless failure, it is not enough
- The birth of lactation begins during pregnancy, when the female body is reconstructed and prepares for the birth of the baby. After the birth of a child, the formation does not stop, but continues to gain momentum. Many mothers remember periods of decline or increase in milk production, which indicates the formation of the process.
- The maturity of lactation is the most harmonious and calm stage, as the volume of breast milk fully corresponds to the needs of the baby. The period can last up to 1,5-2,5 years. Duration depends on the emotional state of the mother and her willingness not to give up breastfeeding.
- The final stage of the involution is accompanied by a decrease in milk volume and a decrease in its quality. Due to the lack of important nutrients, the baby can often demand breast, but satiety does not come. The feeling of hunger affects the behavior of the child, and my mother feels tired and lethargic. Constant application of the baby to the chest can be accompanied by pain in the nipples and irritation, which signals the uselessness of further breastfeeding.
Optimum periods for the termination of natural feeding
In Soviet times it was considered the norm to wean the baby from a very early age. Women went to work early, and the decree did not last long, so sometimes we had to wean at 10 months. Popular literature of that era offered recommendations that are unacceptable for modern mothers:
- Breastfeeding should last no more than 12 months.
- It was possible to stop the lactation by an almost barbaric method, bandaging tightly the mammary glands.
Modern specialists insist on maintaining mature lactation for two years, and in the absence of discomfort and contraindications - up to 3.
At this time it is best to wean from the breast, since both mother and baby are ready to break the "dairy" ties. Usual food has already firmly entered the children's diet, and useful immunoglobulins have been received by the baby during this period in sufficient quantity. The immune system of a two-year-old child is stable, unlike the one-year-old baby, who was decidedly severed from the breast.
In reality, it is not always possible to refuse breastfeeding at the optimal period for this. Sometimes you have to do it in an emergency because of a sudden illness of a nursing woman. If the course of treatment includes medications that are incompatible with natural feeding, the latter should be discarded. There are often situations when a woman is forced to go to work to ensure the filling of the family budget.
Cessation of lactation and possible consequences of
Various external factors and life circumstances may affect the decision to excommunicate. Before the final conclusion to the mother it will be useful to find out about the upcoming risks:
- To the child up to six months. During this period, without breastfeeding can not do, because the other food the body of the baby is not able to perceive and assimilate. With the mother's milk comes all the necessary substances and trace elements. The cessation of lactation should not be motivated only by the personal whim of a woman because of serious harm to the health of the baby. A weighty reason may be medical indications: mum's disease and its treatment with certain medications, a child's disease, accompanied by separation from the mother. However, even in these cases, experts recommend that you practice pumping and then continue with natural feeding.
- Child from 6 to 12 months. One-year-old baby with mother's milk receives ¾ important substances for normal development. Lure it is still difficult to call a full-fledged diet, because it is an addition to breastfeeding.
- The kid from one year to one and a half. From now on, the mother can think about stopping feeding if the amount of milk has decreased or discomfort has occurred. The health risks of crumbs are virtually nonexistent.
- Two-year-olds and older. There is a natural end of lactation, so weaning will be painless.
Breastfeeding specialists recommend keeping lactation until the baby is at least a year and a half old. Mums need to take into account that closer to 3 years of weaning crumbs is already more difficult.
. How to determine a child's readiness for change?
All the factors considered above were more concerned with the optimal time for Mom's physiology, but it is also necessary to take into account the wishes of the karapuza. This may indicate many signs:
- age one and a half years and older;
- the main milk teeth have already appeared;
- diet consists of complementary foods, and mother's milk is more like a treat or a dessert;
- the kid does not arrange a hysterics if the mother refuses to give the breast;
- going to sleep is accompanied by a melodic lullaby or reading a fairy tale, rather than sucking your chest.
With these signs, weaning will pass without stress and psychological trauma. However, there is also a number of contraindications to to start breastfeeding, as Komarovsky warns:
- It is better to wait in the spring-summer period with changes in eating habits. In spring, flu viruses are rampaging, and ARVI is easy to earn on a walk. In the summer, the main danger is considered intestinal infections, and from these troubles the child is able to save only mother's milk. An exception can only be a two-year-old child and older.
- Before weaning the baby from breastfeeding, we need to make sure that it does not cut new teeth. The best remedy for stress, pain and reduced immunity will be the mother's breast.
- On the eve of travel, travel and long trips, we also can not plan for excommunication.
- Do not experiment with the refusal and in case the baby is in a bad mood for a long time.
- The month has not passed since the end of the illness.
Popular methods of failure
There are two options how to wean a child from breastfeeding:
Smooth cancellation up to one year includes the mandatory step-by-step replacement of milk with the adapted mixture:
- The kid may refuse to take the bottle, demanding a breast when the mother is near. It is advisable to ask the grandmother or spouse to feed the baby for the first time until he gets used to it.
- The number of meals should be gradually reduced. First you need to remove the day's "snack", and evening and night feeding leave in the last turn.
- Excommunication in such an early period the child is likely to take painfully, so you can not deprive him of communication and contact with his mother. You can take more often in your arms, but clothing should be closed so that the baby can not reach the breast.
- There is a good reason why weaning is better off for a while. If the baby does not get a breast during the day, he starts asking for it more often at night. Such behavior signals that the child is morally not ready to accept the refusal and painfully tolerates it.
Excommunication after a year of should also proceed smoothly using the "do not offer, but do not refuse" technique. Feeding takes place according to the usual scenario, the breast is given on demand. If the crumb does not ask for a breast, then you do not need to impose milk on it. With each passing day the baby will be applied to the breast more and more rarely, which will allow the natural completion of lactation.
It is much easier to decontaminate a child from breastfeeding, if you change his habits. Surely feeding has become a ritual for many months, so innovations will only be on hand to my mother:
- The child sees many of her actions as a signal to feed. For example, the chest was given when my mother was sitting in the armchair. It is necessary to avoid habitual places that induce the youngster to demand breasts.
- During the day, you can offer juice or biscuits instead of chest, but at night it is advisable not to experiment with such a substitute.
- One and a half year old kids on the street prefer to play with the rest of the kids, without being distracted by the chest. It should be more often outside the house, so as not to provoke new requests.
- In the question of how to wean a child from breastfeeding at night, there are some nuances. Termination of night feeding is hardest. It is advisable to offer an alternative option in the form of reading books or light strokes.
It is important to show the baby that my mother's love has not gone anywhere, so that the process of weaning would pass without problems. Haste only prevents proper construction of tactics, at whatever stage they try to wean the child from breastfeeding.
Komarovsky warns against the desire to start a sharp excommunication, which is fraught with negative consequences. People's methods do not help at all, they will only do harm. For this reason, you should immediately abandon the offer to leave the child to your parents or spouse and leave for a few days. Sharply excommunication will lead to the strongest stress in the baby and possible psychological problems in the future. He not only parted with the main food source, but also with the most expensive person for him, and this loss is capable of inflicting an irreparable blow to the fragile child's psyche.
https: //www.youtube.com/ watch? V = wKR3QFyi0OA