- 1 Formulations
- 2 Types of cough preparations
- 2.1 antitussive drugs
- 2.2 Expectorants
- 2.3 Mucolytics
- 3 other cough remedies
- 3.1 Ointments cold
- 3.2 Lollipops
- 3.3 Lozenges cough
- 3.4 DryMedicine
- 3.5 Sprays
- 3.6 Tea
- 4 Some precautions
The pediatrician after examination of the patient can estimate the type of cough: dry, wet, Passive, prolonged, rough, strong, night, with colorless mucus, with purulent secretions, paroxysmal, with vomiting. All these rich characteristics are extremely important in order to correctly choose cough preparations for children and to conduct effective treatment.
What are the most popular forms of cough medicine for child
- Syrup .A convenient and safe dosage form, has a pleasant taste, children readily accept it. It is also the most effective cough medicine for children under one year old. Read more about cough syrups in another of our articles.
- Tablets .Appointed to older children. They are in a sweet, sour, tasteless shell. The most famous tablets from cough: "Pectusin", "Bromgexin", "Mukaltin".
- Drops .Alternative to syrups. They can also be used for inhalations. Most often, there are plant drops, based on the root of althaea, licorice, and thermopsis.
Types of cough medicine
Children's cough medicine is divided into three large groups. They are used depending on the type of cough and the diagnosis. Each medicine has its own task. Some drugs - anti-inflammatory, others - reduce the viscosity of phlegm, the third - contribute to its rapid evacuation. By composition, the preparations can be of plant, synthetic or combined origin. Also, drugs are single-component and multicomponent.
Antitussive drugs for children are never used without prescribing a doctor. They are taken with a dry, debilitating, painful cough, when the child is disturbed by sleep, appetite disappears, the overall psycho-emotional state worsens. Most often such a cough is a symptom of whooping cough or pleurisy. The main task of antitussive drugs is suppression of cough reflex. There are two types of these drugs.
- With the central action of the .There are narcotic and non-narcotic types. Drugs of narcotic action are prescribed in rare cases. Only for life indications are used in infants under the strict supervision of a pediatrician.
- With the peripheral action of the .Suppress the cough reflex, but do not affect the entire respiratory center. They do not become addictive, as to drugs of narcotic action. Also contribute to relaxation of the muscles of the bronchi, have anti-inflammatory properties.
Most antitussive drugs are not prescribed for children up to 2-3 years. For a detailed overview of antitussive syrups, see our other article.
These medications are prescribed when the sputum is enough for the baby to cough and is well separated. Expectorants help rapid evacuation of excess sputum from the respiratory tract. By action, there are two types of expectorant drugs.
- With the resorptive action of .After sucking into the blood, the medicine acts on the bronchi, irritates their mucous membranes and thereby increases the secretion.
- With reflex action .Irritation of the walls of the stomach leads to the excitation of the vomiting center, but this does not cause vomiting, but enhances the peristalsis of the musculature of the bronchi. As a result of irritation, sputum is removed from the respiratory tract.
Also expectorants are plant and combination.
- Vegetable .The preparations include: plantain, licorice, oregano, marshmallow, sage, ivy, thyme, rosemary, thermopsis, yarrow, coltsfoot, pine buds, thyme, anise and others. Also, pectoral fees No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, No. 4 with different components of grasses are considered effective.
- Combined .They use herbal extracts and synthetic substances. The most famous combinations are: thermopsis, thyme, anise and ammonium chloride, potassium bromide, sodium bicarbonate.
Review of the most well-known drugs with expectorant action, see our other article.
Mucolytic cough medicines for children provide sputum liquefaction, but do not increase its volume. This is their essential difference from expectorants. The composition of mucolytic drugs may include such active ingredients: acetylcysteine, abroxol, bromhexine. Preparations with acetylcysteine - "Fluimutsil", "ACTS", "Vix Active Expectomed".Preparations with ambroxol - "Lazolvan", "Ambrosan", "Khaliksol", "Ambrobene" and others. Preparations with bromhexine - "Bronchosan", "Solvin", "Bromgeksin."Depending on the action, there are three types of mucolytics:
- accelerating sputum evacuation;
- affecting the viscosity and elasticity of bronchial secretions;
- reducing the production of mucus.
Mucolytics are often prescribed for pneumonia, obstructive, acute and chronic bronchitis, laryngitis, tracheobronchitis, bronchial asthma. Some have a slight antitussive effect( for example, "Bromgeksin").Review of the most famous syrups with mucolytic action, see our other article.
Other cough remedies
This can be not only medicines, but also folk methods. On the treatment of cough in children by folk remedies, read in our other article.
Ointments for cold
A rare dosage form for the treatment of cough. Ointment for colds is a good antiseptic, and it also has irritating and warming properties. For children, you can use the ointment "Doctor MOM", as well as "Eucalyptus balm for colds of the other Thyss."They are used at the first signs of ARVI, they facilitate coughing and runny nose. Age restrictions are up to 2 years. In the ointment "Doctor MOM" there is camphor, menthol, eucalyptus, turpentine, thymol, nutmeg. As part of the "Eucalyptus balm for the cold of the other", there is also camphor and eucalyptus, added essential oil of needles. This drug has anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties.
Warming ointments for children from coughing are applied by rubbing movements on the back between the shoulder blades and the chest, and also on the feet. You can not smear in the area of the heart and face. It is forbidden to use ointment if the temperature rises and the skin is damaged. It is better to rub the ointment on the night, after which the child is dressed in warm pajamas and laid to sleep.
There is also a cough ointment for children under the year named "Pulmex Baby".It is allowed to use from the age of six months. In the composition of essential oils of tropical plants. Ointment is applied once a day, rubbed with light movements in the chest and back.
Cough drops for children soften and lighten breathing, sore throats, remove perspiration. In their composition: menthol, eucalyptus extract, mint, anise. The most popular trade names are: "Septotelet", "Strepsils", "Falimint".Allowed children from 5 years. You can give one candy every 3 hours. As an analogue, you can use plant pastilles from the cough "Doctor MOM" with menthol, ginger, licorice. Allowed to children from 2 years.
Cough cakes for children are applied to the chest and back in the form of compresses. This folk remedy has several options. The one that uses vinegar, vodka and mustard can not even be considered. The use of such tortillas can result in skin burns, alcohol and vinegar poisoning, spasms of the larynx from mustard vapors. But honey cakes can be used if the child does not have allergies to honey. You can mix honey and salt, soak gauze with this mixture, attach it to your chest, cover it with polyethylene, fix it with a handkerchief. The compress is held for several hours. Another version of the flat cake: a mixture of honey, flour and vegetable oil in equal proportions.
This is a combined preparation with anti-inflammatory and expectorant effect. It liquefies well and removes phlegm from the respiratory tract. The main component is the root of the althea. The medicine is sold in powder form, from which the suspension is prepared. Can be used from the age of two. Reviews of dry cough medicine for children are in most cases positive. Advantages of this medicine:
- minimal side effects;
- minimum amount of preservatives and dyes;
- in children is less likely to be allergic to it;
- reasonable price.
Cough spray may be used only when the child is already able to control breathing. If you spray the liquid directly into the throat, the baby may experience a spasm. Most of these drugs can be given to a child from a cough in 3 years and later. Most often, sprays are prescribed for diseases of the upper respiratory tract, irritated throat and dry, tearing cough. They moisturize the mucous membranes well, relieve puffiness, have analgesic properties, and stop inflammatory processes. They do not treat bronchitis and pneumonia. The most famous trade names are Tantum Verde, Ingalipt, Alvogen, Faringosept, Shunam, Chlorophyllipt, and Lugol.
Medicinal tea can be prepared from herbs, leaves and berries. You can also drink regular tea with the addition of medicinal components. A good expectorant is tea from sage, plantain, violet, licorice root, linden, fennel, pine buds. Also useful is a drink made of elderberries, strawberries, raspberries.
- To phytopreparations should be treated with the same care as with any other medication. Do not overdose them.
- Drugs based on thermopsis may cause vomiting.
- With diabetes and intolerance to fructose with caution take syrups.
- For individual sensitivity and allergic reactions, immediately discontinue the drug.
- Alkaloids( especially cytisine) in preparations can first stimulate respiration, and then depress it.
- For gastritis and ulcers, kidney and liver diseases, some preparations are categorically contraindicated. You should carefully read the instructions.
- The most common side effects when taking mucolytics: an allergic reaction and bronchospasm.
What to give a child to cough? Only the medicine prescribed by the doctor, and not advised by the pharmacist in the pharmacy. It is necessary to start with simple but effective measures: to maintain moist, cool air and give a lot of warm drink to the child who coughs. No medicine will help unless these conditions are met.