We process the navel correctly, strive for perfection
The cord, through which large blood vessels pass, is cut off and bandaged. A small part of the umbilical cord remains, after 2-4 days it dries up and disappears and a small umbilical wound is formed in this place.
The umbilical cord does not always fall off during these periods. Sometimes you have to wait a few more days or remove her remains surgically. Everything is very individual.
Just at this time mom and baby are usually discharged from the hospital and take care of the umbilical wound, she is left alone. Do not be afraid of this. Look at your navel - in fact it perfectly healed and the navel of your husband and your parents.
Still in the hospital, specialists will give you a lot of lectures on different topics, however, information received from the lips of a strict doctor, in far from ideal hospital conditions, against the background of infant sopranos, is remembered badly.
Getting into native walls, a young mother needs a repetition and fixing of the passed material. In this video, practitioners will remind you how to treat a newborn's navel with a clothespin:
If you have already gotten rid of the clothespin, part of the way is passed, the matter is left for a small one.
Thoroughly examine the navel of the newborn baby. It should be dry, without redness. Your task - to keep the baby's navel clean and dry .American pediatricians generally advise to avoid medications in caring for the umbilical cord.
Only clean water and sterile wipes. And yet, the air, which naturally drains the wound.
In Russia traditional processing of the navel of the newborn occurs with the help of peroxide and green .How does this happen? In the wound, you can often see yellow or even bloody discharge. Sometimes they harden a crust. All these excretions and crusts from the wound have to be removed, you can do it in only 5 steps.
Step-by-step instruction for treating the navel
- It is a little damp or just enough to just drip hydrogen peroxide into the navel's confusing places.
- Then wait a little. Not all mothers succeed in this stage, many pass without delay from the first to the third.
- When the crusts soften, gently remove them with a sterile napkin or cotton buds. Clean the surface of the wound carefully, slightly stretching the skin of the navel.
- After this, drain the wound with the same sterile napkin.
- And, finally, treat the wound with green, starting from the center of the navel to the edges. Do not touch healthy skin.
Many mothers are interested in whether it is possible and how to process the navel of a newborn with chlorophyllipt - the procedure is exactly the same, only at the last stage we replace the green with an alcohol solution of chlorophyllipt.
Unlike green, chlorophyllipt is colorless, and the umbilical wound can be better treated if there are any minor problems.
We try to do all manipulations quickly and confidently. Look at how the newborn's navel handles a professional in this video, we need to strive for the same results.
- There is no unambiguous answer to the question of how many times to process the navel of a newborn, traditionally it is recommended to conduct the procedure two, three times a day at most. And in the first days after returning from the hospital, a doctor visiting a newborn at home will also process the wound.
- Do not treat umbilical wound with alcohol. This can provoke irritation, causing micro-trauma to the skin. Alcohol strongly dries the tender skin of the baby.
- And, of course, do not forget that all procedures must be carried out with clean hands. Before each procedure, wash your hands with soap and then treat with alcohol.
Quit dry from the water: navel and bathing
Sometimes it is advised that the baby does not bathe at all until the wound healing.
Should I deprive the child of the pleasure of water procedures without the need? Probably not.
Water helps to adapt the baby to new conditions of life.
During bathing, he enters the environment in which he spent 9 months of his intrauterine life. It is not necessary to seal the navel with bathing or wrap the baby's belly with waterproof material. This can cause irritation and even infect the wound. Do not be afraid. Water can not harm a child, can not penetrate the navel or cause pain.
Traditionally, children at this time, they bathed, adding to the water a pink solution of potassium permanganate. Do not be lazy to dissolve the crystals of potassium permanganate in a separate tank and add it to the bath, where you bathe the baby, through several layers of gauze.
Poorly dissolved crystals of potassium permanganate can severely burn the skin of the baby, be careful. Many experienced moms advise water to boil before bathing, and instead of potassium permanganate add broth of string or chamomile .What to choose, decide for yourself. The main thing is to drain the umbilicals after bathing and process according to the above scheme.
Learn more about how to organize the first bathing of a newborn so that the procedure is not just a tribute to hygiene, but it will continue to benefit and give pleasure to the kid and his parents.
Although your baby is still very small, but now you should not ignore the sex of your child.
Parents of girls should get acquainted with this material;If you have a boy - read the advice of a specialist in this article.
How to deal with a diaper
But what you should pay attention to is diapers.
- If there are no special diapers with a recess for the navel , be sure to tuck the edge of the diaper so that it does not touch the wound.
- If reusable diapers are used, follow to ensure that their edge passes below the umbilical wound of or wear the diaper over the children's underwear.
- It is very important that the navel does not come into contact with a wet cloth.
When to consult a pediatrician
Normally the navel should be dry and free from reddening of . If this is not the case, then there is reason to disturb your pediatrician.
- If the skin around the navel is red, swollen , if the discharge from the wound lasts longer than two weeks or becomes more plentiful, if the wound strongly disturbs the baby, it becomes wet, the navel of the newborn itches and causes severe discomfort. In these cases, consult a doctor immediately.
- There is another sign of unsuccessful healing, like a smell. If the wound smells unpleasant , it is necessary to clean it immediately of excreta and treat it with a disinfectant.
- One of the signals for urgent medical attention is , a permanent discharge of blood from the umbilical wound. If the navel of the newborn is crying, it can be a symptom of a disease such as a granuloma of the navel, when the connective tissue and the tissue of the blood vessels grow. In this case, do not hesitate, call a doctor.
- And certainly should alert purulent discharge from the navel .Perhaps the entire treatment will be reduced to a few drops of medication per day, but it is not worthwhile to delay with the referral to a doctor.
Everything that causes your concern deserves discussion with the pediatrician. After all, the good mood and calmness of the mother are no less necessary for the baby than the proper care and hygiene procedures.
Our main assistants in the treatment of the navel
Our assistant is the air .It naturally dehydrates the wound and speeds up the healing process. Air baths at this time are just necessary.
Often ventilate room , where the child is. Air will not only dry the umbilicus, but also help to avoid the appearance of diaper rash. Fresh air improves blood circulation, and this also contributes to better wound healing.
Natural materials allow the skin to breathe, so the toddler's clothing must be sewn from them. Soft, without gross seams and folds.
And get rid of microbes hot iron. We iron the baby's clothes on both sides of the .
Hygiene and hygiene again! Wet diapers or wet clothing should not touch the umbilical cord. This can cause irritation and swelling.
Cream and other products by which we process the folds and skin of the child, should not fall on the umbilical.
Umbilical hernia: you should not be afraid, it's possible to prevent
You probably will be surprised, but umbilical hernia happens in almost every child .
Remember, we said that large navel vessels passed through the navel?
When these vessels are no longer there, there is an empty space inside the navel, the so-called umbilical ring.
If the child cries, strains the stomach, part of his intestines fills this hollow space inside the umbilical ring and slightly protrudes outward. This is the umbilical hernia.
- If the umbilical ring is small, it will tighten very quickly, after only a couple of weeks.
- And if more, the process can drag on for several months, or even years.
Do not worry much if the umbilical cord is slowly tightened, the child does not interfere. A difficult case will always correct the doctor. Of course, there are cases when the umbilical ring is very large and surgical intervention is necessary. But this does not happen often and the doctor can always determine whether it is worth worrying about this.
Prevention of hernia
For the prevention of hernia it is recommended to practice:
- massage of the anterior wall of the abdomen
- early laying on the tummy
Feel free to ask your child's doctor to show how to do it correctly.
What a navel the child will have when he grows up, nobody knows. But there are no two people in the world with the same shape of the navel, in all people it is individual. Even twins, which have the same fingerprints, have a different form of navel.
And the navel skin is different from the skin of the whole body. There are a lot of blood vessels going from the depth of the abdominal cavity. It's like a memory of an intrauterine life.