Contents of the article
- 1 Facts and studies
- 2 How alcohol affects a baby
- 2.1 Myths and specs
- 2.2 Features of the body
- 3 5 rules for a safe holiday
The critical attitude of society towards the problem of combining alcohol and breastfeeding is strongGrounds. Alcohol is a poison, a well-known axiom. It disrupts metabolic processes in the body of an adult, and a child of the first year of life is capable of causing enormous harm. However, in this issue there are many "buts", which it is important to know the nursing mother.
Facts and studies
Despite the importance of the issue, significant studies have not been conducted so far. Doctors give recommendations based on the generally accepted thesis about the influence of alcohol on the child's body. Nursing mothers are recommended to completely refuse from drinking. A refutation of this prohibition in 2006 was published by the American pediatrician, a
In his opinion, the ban on the full use of alcohol refers to one of the unnecessary taboos that surround young mothers. Taking it in small doses does not entail dangerous consequences. Professor believes that a woman can drink a little and feed the baby, as usual. The main emphasis is on the word "little".
But where is the limit? And what really happens with alcoholic beverages that enter the mother's body? Let's consider in detail.
- Receiving a drink .Drunk beer or wine enters the digestive tract. In the stomach, the drink is about 20 minutes. Then it moves to the intestine.
- Suction .Occurs in the upper, small intestine. Alcohol is thrown into the blood. Processing time is 10 minutes.
- The maximum concentration in the blood .It is observed within 30-60 minutes after self-administration or 60-90 minutes after ingestion with food. Faster "works" champagne. It passes the first and second stage in 10 minutes. At the same time, part of the ethanol from the alcohol-containing beverage is found in breast milk.
- Excretion from the body .Its speed is 10 milliliters of ethanol per hour, but depends on the weight of the woman, the amount of alcohol consumed. The processing of strong alcoholic drinks takes more time. Simultaneously with the drop in blood levels, alcohol escapes from breast milk.
Thus, it is possible to answer the main questions that bind alcohol and breastfeeding.
- Does alcohol get into breast milk? Yes, it does. The intensity of absorption is similar to the assimilation of drugs and is 10% of the volume consumed by the mother.
- When can a child get the maximum dose of an alcohol-containing "cocktail"? When breastfeeding 30-60 minutes after drinking beer and wine and 10 minutes after a glass of champagne.
- When will the milk become clean again? This will happen after cleansing the blood from the products of the decomposition of ethanol. The intensity of the process is individual. With an average weight of 55 kg, one glass of red wine during breastfeeding is neutralized within 2-3 hours. For strong drinks, the process takes longer. So, cognac, brandy, vodka are withdrawn within 13 hours.
The intensity of excretion of alcohol from the body is determined by the weight and height of the woman, the amount of alcohol consumed. Its average speed is shown in the table. A unit of alcohol is taken as a drink. Under one "drink" is understood:
- 340 g of beer( 5%);
- 142 g of wine( 11%);
- 42.5 g of strong drink( 40%).
How alcohol affects a baby
According to experts of the American Academy of Pediatrics, lactemia and alcohol are compatible. In small quantities, it does not harm the baby. The danger of this judgment is that each woman establishes her own "small amount" side for herself.
No need to reproach yourself for being weak, if you are allowed to drink a glass of light wine in honor of the celebration. Also it is necessary to reflect, if the minimum consumption of alcohol pushes you on uncontrolled drinking of alcoholic drinks.
Myths and speculation
There are several myths associated with alcohol that persecute young mothers. Because of them, alcohol-containing drinks are either completely prohibited. Or they are treated as medicinal and useful for women and babies. Here are some of them.
- Beer increases lactation .After drinking beer, a woman notices that the baby often asks for a breast. The number of feedings increases, which is why this conclusion was made. In 1991, American pediatricians D. Menell and G. Bishomp conducted a study in which one lactating woman was offered alcoholic beverages, others - nonalcoholic. It is noted that the frequency of application to the breast in women who received alcoholic beers, indeed, increased. However, the total amount of milk consumed by infants has decreased by 20-27%.The researchers concluded that beer does not increase lactation, but on the contrary, it depresses it.
- Alcohol improves the baby sleep. Young mothers are recommended to drink a glass of wine before the night feeding, so that the child can sleep peacefully until the morning. The refutation of this myth was given in 1998 by American pediatricians D. Menell and K. Gehrish. In the course of the study, they drew attention to the fact that the mother's intake of alcohol really changes the sleep and wakefulness of the baby. But it does not calm the crumbs, but causes a "failure" of the nervous system. Initially, the child feels "euphoria", close to a real intoxication. After this, the nervous system is depressed, and the baby falls into a drowsy state. He falls asleep, but for a short while, his sleep is shallow, there are no basic phases of rest, during which the body regains strength. Duration of sleep in children who consumed "alcoholic" milk, was significantly shorter than that of children who consumed normal milk.
Specific effects on the body
Regular use of wine, beer during breastfeeding is dangerous for a number of reasons.
- External manifestations of .The excess of the mother's tolerable limits indicates a child's lethargy, apathy. The child sleeps deeply, but quickly wakes up, becomes nervous. Lactation can be changed by a woman. Milk is getting smaller! This alarm is indicated by the doctors of the Committee on Drugs of the Academy of Pediatrics.
- Cardiovascular system disruption .Ethanol stimulates the work of the heart, providing its unnatural rhythm. This condition causes weakness of the baby, may cause breathing problems.
- The risk of digestive tract disorders .Beer, wine during lactation affect the mucous membranes of the esophagus, intestines. For the immature digestive system, this can become fatal, causing an attack of colic. With the constant use of alcohol in large quantities, the mother provokes a decrease in the intensity of absorption of nutrients in the intestines of the baby. The body does not receive the necessary trace elements, valuable substances, which leads to deviations in weight gain.
5 rules for a safe holiday
So, is it possible for a nursing mother to have wine, beer? And how to use them correctly to prevent harm to the baby?
According to Thomas Hale, MD, professor of pediatrics at the Texas Tech University, mothers can consume alcohol in moderation. And to feed the baby immediately after they feel "neurologically normal."This statement is given in the book "Medicinal Preparations and Breastmilk", published by the author in 2006.
At the same time, the author points out the following features of drinking alcoholic beverages.
- The intensity of the effect of alcohol directly depends on the amount of drunk .Do not abuse wine, beer, champagne when breastfeeding! You can let you drink one glass on the feast, but do not take it as a daily rule. Regular use is unacceptable and is a sign of alcoholism.
- Completely discard the alcohol until the child reaches the age of three months .Even minimal, acceptable doses can provoke unforeseen consequences.
- Consider the weight of the .The smaller it is, the longer the decay products of ethanol are released from the body. And, on the contrary, in full women these processes occur faster.
- Do not drink on an empty stomach .When eating food, the intensity and volume of absorption of ethanol are reduced.
- Do not get drunk .In this condition, the baby can get a critical dose of an "alcoholic cocktail", which will cause intoxication. A woman can not control her own behavior, because of which there is a risk of crushing the baby with her body when sleeping together.
But there are rules that allow you to take part in the celebration and not harm the baby's health.
- Feed the crumb immediately before the event, if you plan to drink .The next feeding will be safe only when you feel completely sober.
- Do not drink a lot of .Alcohol is safe during breastfeeding in moderate doses. A glass of wine, a glass of beer will not be superfluous to you or the child.
- Stock milk .If you are not sure of your own strength, express enough milk for one or two feedings and put it in the refrigerator. There it can be stored for 24 hours.
- Do not put the baby to the chest, if you feel her overflowing .In this situation, you need to express excess and pour out.
- Drink beverages without alcohol .Young mothers can drink non-alcoholic wine with breastfeeding, beer without ethanol is allowed. The only limitation is the quality of the product. If the drink has artificial colors and preservatives, they can provoke an allergic reaction in the baby.
Alcohol and breastfeeding are women's responsibility, the need to make decisions on which the baby's health depends, and its normal development. Each mother has the right to make such decisions in a balanced way, assessing the risks and her own condition. But you should not be afraid of alcohol during lactation, as indicated by doctors. And to the question whether it is possible for a nursing mother to drink non-alcoholic beer or wine, they answer: these drinks will become a safe alternative, especially if you can not stay on one glass on a holiday.