Contents of the article
- 1 6 reasons for the failure
- 1.1 Use of the pacifier, dummy
- 1.2 Feeding from the bottle
- 1.3 Feeding by "mode"
- 1.4 Incorrect attachment
- 1.5 Insufficient contact with the mother
- 1.6 Stress from manipulations
- 2 Failure true orFalse
- 3 Tactics of action of mother
Breastfeeding from the child always happens suddenly. Just yesterday he calmly sucked his chest, but today he screams and arches beneath her. If the situation continues for several days, my mother is lost in conjecture and conjecture.
Perhaps milk is "spoiled" or "tasteless", maybe it's "too little," or there is enough of it in some breast, but not in the other. The search for the cause "in itself" is in the wrong direction. Let's consider the basic situations, why the child refuses the breast.
6 reasons for failure
The main reason for the refusal is pain. It can provoke infection of the
Breastfeeding counselors point to other reasons for the "strikes" of babies. They are associated with mistakes in the organization of feeding.
Using a teat, dummy
In response to the child's "request" to attach to the breast, Mom offers her a "substitute."The danger of this situation is that the baby eventually "decides" what is more convenient for him. And perhaps this decision will not be made in your favor. Moreover, it is scientifically proven that it is with the use of nipples and pacifiers that 98% of refusals from breastfeeding and improper application to the breast are associated.
The process of sucking on the mother's nipple differs significantly from that of a dummy. The kid gets confused in the realization of the sucking reflex. Because of this, under the breast feels insecure, can not "get" milk, gets upset and cries.
It is much easier to get food from a bottle than from a breast. Suck is not necessary, the food itself flows into the mouth. This provokes the development of incorrect associations in the child after the bottle, which increasingly prefers her breasts. The same applies to dopaivaniya crumbs of water.
It is not recommended to use bottles to maintain breastfeeding. An alternative to them can be soft spoons for children of the first year of life, cups, syringes, from which they give supplementary food or medicine. In situations where a child needs to suck, he should only offer breasts.
Feeding by "mode"
A common cause of reduced milk production and the rejection of breastfeeding. Repeatedly, studies have confirmed the fact that there is no physiological character of such a regime. For the baby of the first weeks of life it is natural to apply to the breast very often, up to forty times a day! This is due to the fact that his stomach is very small, and milk itself, as an ideal food for him, is absorbed extremely quickly.
Feeding by "regime" causes the child to experience discomfort. At his "request", my mother either does not react, or offers a "replacement".Hunger, the need for maternal warmth and its absence lead to crying. This may seem strange, but the kid takes offense at his mother, who does not pay enough attention to him. Thus, both mother and breast cease to serve as a factor of calmness, warmth, and peace. And the child refuses the breast "consciously."
Incorrect application of
Incomplete capture of the nipple by a child leads not only to the discomfort of the mother during feeding. The baby can not suck a sufficient amount of milk, and during the sucking swallows the air. It creates painful sensations in the tummy, from which the mother's breast begins to be associated with the child with discomfort and pain.
Insufficient contact with the mother
Breastfeeding disorders often occur in the "mom-toddler" pairs, where it is not customary to show feelings, or where the mother is afraid that she will dilute the child with her hands, "accustom" to them, grow a "mother's son" tied to her breast.
This attitude to the baby works on suppressing lactation. The hormone oxytocin, called "the hormone of love," is produced in insufficient quantities, which makes it difficult to separate milk from the mammary glands. The hormone "prolactin" responds to less consumption, which reduces the production of food for the baby( it is "consumed" less, which means that the amount should be reduced).As a result, lactation gradually fades.
Factors that contribute to this development are insufficient physical contact with the baby, lack of joint sleep, night feeding. The child refuses to take the breast, if he feels detached from the mother, does not receive a timely response to crying, long remains alone in the crib.
Stress from manipulations
A child crying expresses his protest against unpleasant procedures for him. It provokes pain and discomfort from sloppy disguise, bathing in the water at an unsuitable temperature, too active games, the presence of strangers in the environment. It is doubly frustrating when the main participant in these manipulations becomes a mother, from whom the crumb awaits protection and tranquility.
Showing his protest that he is traumatized, frightened and discomforting, he can express discontent towards the mother herself. And since the main contact occurs during feeding periods, the baby "communicates information" at these moments.
Failure to be true or false
The following are the first signs of a malfunctioning relationship with a mother or a discomfort from sucking, which usually lead to breastfeeding.
- The kid does not take the breast during the day, but at night, in a dream, sucks calmly.
- The baby refuses to suck, but keeps the nipple in his mouth.
- The child begins to show concern: he does not suck constantly, with interruptions, periodically cries, makes attempts to bend and turn away.
- It is impossible to calm the crumbs of the chest, it stops falling asleep during feeding.
While the problem is only being formed, it is easier to eliminate it. It is necessary to determine the cause that led to the situation, and get rid of it. It is extremely important in this situation not to get confused, not to "hang a label on the breast," that the milk suddenly deteriorated or the breasts become "tight."
We should not panic in other situations, which give the impression that the crumb makes attempts to refuse breastfeeding.
- The kid is distracted and turns away .As a rule, this happens after four months. At this age, crumbs become curious and react with interest to every rustle. The presence in the room of a stranger, an animal, noise outside the window provides the same reaction. Mom should either get rid of "irritants", or wait until the interest of the baby to them disappears. If feeding is reduced to "no", you should not worry. The child will ask for breast early and eat as needed.
- The kid can not take the breast correctly .This situation is typical for the period of initiation of breastfeeding. Despite the existence of a sucking reflex, the sucking skill of my mother's breast does not arise by itself. The kid needs to learn it. When something does not work out for him, he can "lose" his chest, turn around after her, groan, begin to cry. Mom's task is to help in this difficult work. And quickly enough the skill will be mastered perfectly.
Action tactics of the mother
Despite the variety of reasons why a child refuses breast milk, the tactics of action to solve the problem is the same. It includes the removal of all negative factors, which takes time and patience. And the patience is not only for mom, but for others. Therefore it is very important to prevent relatives and enlist their support in this matter. Inform them that your primary task is to restore breastfeeding, because of which for a couple of weeks all household issues will fall on the shoulders of her husband, older children, grandmother.
What should mom do? Breastfeeding counsel Natalia Razakhatskaya offers the following algorithm of action.
- Remove everything you can suck, except the chest .So you solve two problems. First, you call for help a sucking reflex, which fades in a child only at the age of three. If there is no nipples, sucking will have breasts, which is what you need. Secondly, "nipple disorientation" is excluded. The kid will quickly remember the basic skill and return to the chest.
- Maintain a solid contact .The constant presence of crumbs "skin to skin", wearing on hands stimulate the response of two organisms. In your growing level of oxytocin, because of what the milk literally pours out of the chest, it is worth attaching to her baby. He revives the primary feelings for his mother, staying in the tummy in which the little one experienced only comfort and warmth. It is not by chance that breastfeeding is called the continuation of intrauterine development, only from the outside. A bridge, connecting the two closest to each other little men, is no longer the umbilical cord, and my mother's breast.
- Eliminate the active participation of relatives in the life of the baby .Ask them to help with the au pair, while you should only bathe, lay down, swing, and carry on your hands. By the way, if some manipulations cause the child to cry( for example, changing after bathing), instruct them to the pope or grandmother. The role of mother in these situations - the defender and savior in the eyes of the baby. After all, she has a favorite means of comfort.
- Reduce your stay in public to .GW consultants refer to this technique as a "return to nesting", that is, the main time the kid should be at home, in a familiar environment, surrounded only by the closest family members. Exclude visits to the guests, a clinic, reduce the duration of walks or temporarily give them up completely.
- Offer breasts at the time of basic need of .Nature programmed the child to fall asleep under the breast of his mother, so before bedtime, the baby might not resist it. Another good time is immediately after awakening, until he is quite awake. And finally, do not forget about feeding during a night's sleep. They stimulate lactation and help the kid remember or better master the technique of sucking.
- Do not press .If the child reacts negatively to applying to the mammary glands, take the nipple and cover it. Calm the crumbs and try again not at once, but over time.
- Feed from a spoon or syringe .If regular refusals of feeding led to the introduction of a mixture, it is not allowed to feed it from a bottle. Absence of alternatives will necessarily lead to the fact that the child will be able to satisfy the sucking reflex by means of the mother's breast. Over time, you can restore lactation in full.
- Sleep together .Joint sleep provides not only a 24 hour physical contact, but also unlimited access to the breast during the night - at the peak of lactation. At the same time, feeding does not disturb the mother's sleep, allowing her to fully rest.
Technique of the actions of the mother in case of the failure of the crumbs from natural feeding is similar to that recommended for the restoration of lactation. And in that, and in another case the task is one - to provide the child with the most useful and valuable food for him. However, our goal is much simpler, because the suckling skill of the baby is not lost, and the restoration of a close emotional connection with the mother occurs the faster, the younger your baby is.
Thanks to the help of relatives and a personal positive attitude, you can overcome the refusal of breastfeeding for two to three weeks. In the future, do not allow mistakes that lead to it, which will successfully maintain lactation at the required level.