Contents of the article
- 1 Physiological readiness for childbirth
- 2 Limits of the norm
- 3 Influence on the child
The arrival of monthly lactation means that the woman is again ready to conceive and bear a child. The "standard period" for their offensive is the second half of the year after childbirth. According to statistics, at this time menstruate. .. 37% of women. But what about the remaining 63%?When do the monthly come in a larger number of young mothers?
Physiological readiness for childbirth
In the modern world, breastfeeding is perceived as a temporary phenomenon, often causing inconvenience to a woman. Mom needs to go to work soon, she can not stay near the baby, because of this the terms of introduction of complementary foods have shifted to six months, and in the "arsenal" of women there were various "substitutes" for the breast - nipples, bottles.
This form of feeding is called "cultural", that is,
Two hundred years ago, the monthly income in the first six months after childbirth was perceived as nonsense. Moreover, the women of many nations of the world, far from civilization, continue to raise their children and menstruate in the way laid down by nature, that is, much later than in six months.
In the eighties of the last century Canadian scientist Otto Schaffer investigated the timing of the onset of menstruation in Eskimo women in Canada. Some of them lived in natural conditions, far from cities, practicing frequent and prolonged breastfeeding. The conception period for the next child was 20-30 months after the previous birth. Women "civilized", using feeding from a bottle, became pregnant already in the second or third month. On the basis of the data obtained, Otto Schaffer concluded that it is the frequency of breast suckling by the infant that is the main regulative mechanism of natural family planning.
Research continued by John and Sheila Kippley, the founders of the League of Married Couples in the United States. They introduced the term "ecological breastfeeding", meaning the rejection of any framework in the process of feeding, nipples and regimens. Based on years of observations, the couple Kippley published a report that allows you to accurately assess the relationship between breastfeeding and menstruation with an "ecological approach".
- 9-20 months. The total period of arrival of monthly in 71% of women practicing ecological breastfeeding( or on-demand mode).
- 14.6 months. Average period of arrival of the first menstruation in a woman. Provides a minimum time interval between the birth of children in 2 years.
Even more impressive data led the American scientists Connor and Wortman. They conducted research in the American tribe Kung, whose life differs little from the primitive society. The first arrival of menstruation after delivery in women of the tribe came in 35 months, which allowed to withstand the time interval between births at least three and a half years.
Boundaries of the
norm However, the opinions of obstetrician-gynecologists on this issue are often different. Sometimes women are advised to "fold" breastfeeding after a year to "restore" the natural reproductive cycle. These recommendations have nothing to do with women's health, says Natalia Razakhatskaya, an expert on the International Council of Examiners of Lactation Consultants( IBCLC), a breastfeeding consultant.
She cites the following "norm limits" for menstruation for nursing mothers.
- "I feed them with breast milk, they went on a monthly basis." It's normal when menstruation occurs in the first six months after childbirth. This happens in about seven percent of women. It's also normal when it happens in the second half of the year after giving birth, which happens in 37% of women. During the second year of breastfeeding, 48% of moms come from monthly. And about 8% of women do not menstruate two or more years, which is also a variant of the norm.
- "I feed with breast milk, there are no menstruation." The timing of menstruation depends on the woman's hormonal background. Menses are absent because of a high level in the body of the hormone prolactin, which blocks the work of the ovaries and the production of eggs. The more often you are breastfeeding, the higher is the level of prolactin, and the less is the risk of another pregnancy. This fact is based on the contraceptive method of lactational aminoray, 98% excluding the possibility of conception while maintaining breastfeeding "on demand" without supplementing and dopaivaniya.
The prevalence of the situation when breastfeeding is menses in the second half of the year or one year after childbirth is associated with the introduction of complementary foods and a reduction in the number of baby attachments to the breast. But even if in two years the menstruation did not start, you should not worry!
Also, do not worry about the following situations.
- Lactation and monthly "coincided" within a month after childbirth or after cesarean. This suggests that the standard post-partum period, usually occupying 6-8 weeks, has passed faster. And of course, that you are breastfeeding often. Usually, such an early arrival of menstruation is typical for women who are feeding the children with an artificial mixture.
- We went for a month with breastfeeding, but there was a delay. This situation is likely when changing the feeding regime. For example, you began to feed your baby with a breast less often because of the introduction of complementary foods. But during the eruption of teeth or restlessness crumbs for another reason, began to apply it more often. The level of prolactin in the body increased again, which led to the "blocking" of the mechanism of ovulation.
To perceive a long absence of menstruation during lactation as a "defect", to feel because of this defective at the root is wrong. Nature has planted in us this natural mechanism for the regulation of reproduction of the species. What to do in this situation? Do not be nervous in anticipation, but enjoy the "respite" in the work of the reproductive system.
Influence on the child
There are many myths about how a month's breastfeeding affects a child's stool, its behavior, taste and milk composition. Consider the most common.
- During the "critical days" the smell of milk and its taste changes, because of what the baby can give up breast. Studies conducted on this issue have not confirmed changes in the taste and other characteristics of breast milk. Nervous or excited state of the child is usually associated with a similar condition of the mother, which worries whether the baby will take the breast. There are no grounds for refusing crumbs, so do not worry.
- You can not feed with menstruation, as in milk there are a lot of hormones. In breast milk of women, hormones are always present, and in the period of menstruation their level does not change at all. Moreover, their presence is necessary for the child's body for proper development.
- Milk becomes worse because of the monthly, its composition changes. Breast milk at every stage of a child's life is ideally suited to his needs. During the period of menstruation, its composition does not change, it does not become worse or better. You can not stop breastfeeding because of the restoration of the reproductive system of the mother.
- Milk is getting smaller, you need to introduce supplementation. Another misconception that can cause failure of breastfeeding. To introduce supplementary feeding during the "critical days" of the mother is impossible. If the milk becomes less( which is probably due to a change in the hormonal background), it is important to feed the baby more often, and no other correction of the diet will be required. Reduction of lactation is temporary, its level is restored within one or two days.
It is not necessary to perceive the advent of the monthly, as an extraordinary event, because of which it is necessary "to change something."In fact, it does not mean anything, except the possibility of a new pregnancy. And makes a woman think about additional contraception, if she does not plan the birth of babies-pogodkov.
Thoroughly weigh the information coming from different sources about the impact of critical days on breastfeeding. Monthly in the lactation period is as natural as their absence. The timing of their offensive is strictly individual and depends on the hormonal background. Attempts to "fit" them under some framework usually cause additional experiences of a woman without any real reason.