Contents of the article
- 1 Causes of the disease
- 2 Treatment of lactostasis
- 2.1 Compresses
- 2.2 Ointments and infusions
- 2.3 Physiotherapy
- 2.4 What not to do
- 3 Prevention
Lactostasis occurs suddenly. In the evening everything was fine, and in the morning the chest was unpleasantly swollen, it hurts, chills begin. After a couple of hours, the temperature rises. There is a fear: what to do? Can I feed? When to run to the doctor? Fortunately, the correct treatment of lactostasis at home always ensures recovery within one or two days. It is important only to know what to do.
Causes of the disease
Lactostasis is called occlusion of the ducts of the mammary gland. In one of the shares, the natural waste of milk is suspended, tissue swelling occurs. At first, he does not present a danger, but it causes painful sensations and often a temperature. It rises due to the fact that the protein of milk,
Dangerous lactostasis becomes on the third day. If the temperature persists, consult a doctor immediately. On the fifth day, complications of obstruction of the ducts are possible: inflammation occurs, which translates into infectious mastitis. To treat mastitis at home, folk remedies can not be! Adequate treatment can be prescribed only by a doctor using antibiotics.
What causes lactostasis? There can be many reasons.
- One posture when feeding. In a constant position, the baby frees only certain portions of the breast. In others, milk stagnates, a "cork" develops.
- Sleep in one position. If the mother likes to sleep on one side, the milk can accumulate in the extremities of the chest, usually under the arms.
- Inconvenient underwear. Too tight bra, stiff bones make it difficult to remove milk.
- Insufficient drinking regimen. By consuming insufficient fluids in the heat, you increase the viscosity of the "product".Because of this, the child can not productively suck it from the chest.
- Use of nipples, pacifiers. The development of "nipple disorientation" leads to the fact that the baby begins to take the breast worse, sucks it inactive.
- Breast Injury. A blow to the mammary gland causes swelling and, as a consequence, a violation of the patency of the glands.
- Expressions. With regular application to the breast, do not need to decant it. If the woman at the insistence of moms and grandmothers is expressed after each feeding, this leads to increased lactation. Its level becomes so high that the child is not able to drink the amount of milk produced. It remains in the mammary glands and causes stagnation with all the "resulting" consequences.
Treatment of lactostasis
To eliminate stagnation in the chest, no medication is needed. Treatment of lactostasis in a nursing mother is carried out at home. Breastfeeding counselors recommend the following tactics of action.
- Change the position for feeding. Your task is to free the part where edema was formed. With her, the child who sucks up milk is much more effective than a breast pump and, especially, expressing by hand will best cope with it. The application technique depends on the proportion of the seal in it. Arrange the child so that his collections are directed in this direction. That is, the place of stagnation should be under his lower sponge. When swelling in the armpit area, apply the crumb from under the arm. If lactostasis is formed in the lower part of the mammary glands, put the crumb on your knees and lean back on the reclining position. If the upper part of the mammary gland is dense, you will need a nonstandard pose with a knife: put the crumb on the table, bend over it from the side of the head.
- Apply more often. Do not wait for the baby to "ask" to eat. Offer him a breast regularly, at least every hour. At night, you will need to feed every three hours, so sleep will be more comfortable with the child.
- Eliminate the use of dummies. Let the baby suck only your breasts. Probably, you will not have time for household chores. But you will not allow infected mastitis.
With proper application and intensive resorption of the stagnant site, lactostasis goes away within 24 hours. If on the second day it is preserved, use additional pumping tactics.
- Make a warm compress. It is important to warm up the mammary gland to facilitate the outflow of milk. Instead of compress you can take a bath or a warm shower.
- Gently massage your chest. No need to rub the affected area to "break" the seal. Begin the massage from the base and move lightly to the nipple. Lubricate the skin with baby oil, so as not to damage it.
- Express the excess from the ducts. Gently strain your chest without causing any discomfort. Pain should not be. Ideally, after decanting, when the first liquid milk leaves, let the child suck more dense, back. This tactic helps to fight stagnation most effectively.
- Make a cold compress. Apply a cold towel for a few minutes to relieve swelling.
Complement the treatment of lactostasis with and without temperature.
- Cabbage leaf. Fresh and juicy leaf must be washed, discarded before the appearance of juice and attached to a painful patch. Change it to a new one when the sheet dries. Wipe the nipple before feeding the baby, as cabbage juice can damage its digestion.
- Curd. Place a cold curd cake for 20 minutes.
- Honey and flour. Mix until a tight, uniform consistency, place on the bag, attach to the mammary gland. Keep for half an hour.
Compresses can be used as an additional tool. They relieve swelling, reduce discomfort. Do not reduce the frequency of feeding to hold the compress longer, since the main means of treatment of lactostasis is precisely the decompression of the breast.
Ointments and infusions
Treatment with folk remedies for lactostasis in a nursing mother can be supplemented with pharmacy products. Suitable cream and mixtures intended for use during lactation.
- Cream Traumele C, Arnica. Used to relieve pain in the affected area. Apply the cream should be between the feedings. Infusion "Malavit." Ready infusion mix in half with water, moisten cotton pad. Put on a painful patch, hold until the next feeding.
Traditional means for eliminating edema, bruising, cooling ointments can not be used! The features of their effect on the baby's organism during breastfeeding have not been studied.
If pain persists with lactostasis within two days, and the compaction persists, consult a doctor. High efficiency is shown by physiotherapy procedures used to eliminate stagnant phenomena.
- Ultrasound. Can get rid of the "lump" during one procedure. However, if the effect has not been achieved within two procedures, there is no point in continuing them. According to the Canadian pediatrician Jack Newman, the author of a number of publications on breastfeeding, the effectiveness of ultrasound in each individual case can be traced already during the first session.
- Magnetotherapy, light therapy, electroneurostimulating therapy. The safety of the effect on the composition of breast milk and the level of lactation of the apparatus "Almag", "Amplipluss", "Bioptron" was proved. Their effectiveness is also noticeable after the first-second sessions.
Physiotherapy can only be an element of complex treatment. In themselves they are ineffective.
What not to do
Some folk methods will not help to cure milk stagnation during breastfeeding, but only exacerbate the situation.
- Do not stop feeding. During stagnation and fever, the quality of breast milk does not deteriorate. According to counselors for breastfeeding, even mastitis is not the cause of weaning. Feed as often as possible to allow the child to help you cope with lactostasis.
- Do not massage the chest strongly. Active physical impact on the mammary gland will lead to a worsening of the condition, as a result of the flow of the ducts, their blockage may occur elsewhere.
- Do not warm your chest on the third or fourth day. During this period lactostasis passes into mastitis, the heating of which can result in an abscess.
- Do not make alcohol, camphor compresses, do not apply Vishnevsky ointment. Alcohol compounds and camphor do not alleviate the condition, but on the contrary, worsen the outflow of milk. They reduce the intensity of production of oxytocin, because of which the breast "gives" the contents much harder. In this case, edema progresses more actively.
When treating lactostasis, you can not let the problem take up all your thoughts. More rest, do not worry, devote time to communication with the child. Positive emotional mood will be your best assistant in the fight against the problem.
Some women suffer from milk stagnation often, others never encounter it. The reason for this is the correct prevention of lactostasis. You may not know about its requirements, but you can perform most of them, guided by intuition.
- Feed in different poses. Allow the mammary glands to release evenly.
- Do not hold your chest while feeding. So you clamp the ducts, provoking the development of stagnation. Milk must flow from them by itself.
- Feed on "demand", apply crumbs often. Try not to leave the house for a long time, do not make long breaks for sleep.
- Do not injure your chest. Handle it carefully: refuse from decanting, wear comfortable underwear and loose clothing. And demand the same from the child, do not let the crumb beat, pinch, crush it.
- Forget about the pacifiers, do not feed from the bottles. With the correct organization of breastfeeding, there is no need for substitutes for "mom's sisi".
Do not do heavy physical work. To hang curtains, to carry a heavy vacuum cleaner or a stroller, allow your husband. Nursing mother can not be lifted anything heavier than her baby.
Taking care of yourself, love and attention to the child, respect from others and enough rest will be the best prevention of lactostasis in a nursing mother.
Lactostasis should not be underestimated. If there are seals in the chest, it is necessary to fight them consistently, in a timely manner. However, you should not be afraid of them, because without assistance, along with your child, you are able to cope with them within one or two days. The doctor's help will be required if the stagnation persists for more than four days. Or if the temperature does not go away for two days.