- 1 Contents of the article
- 1 Why the mother is nervous
- 2 What to do with the nerves
- 3 Kinds of medicines
- 3.1 Valerianka
- 3.2 Motherwort
- 3.3 "Novo-Passit"
- 3.4 "Persen"
- 3.5 Homeopathic remedies
We are used to calming frustrated nerves quite simply. Taking several tablets or drops of sedative helps to normalize the emotional state, to return a sound sleep. But in the period of breastfeeding, not all known sedatives can be used by a woman. Their danger consists in a negative impact on the nervous system of the child.
Why your mother is nervous
Postpartum depression is a scientifically proven fact. It develops in about thirteen percent of women during the six weeks after childbirth. Stimulate the difficult emotional state of existing psychological disorders, violence in the family, other forms of coarse impact on a woman. However, manifestations of postpartum depression in nursing mothers
They arise for a number of reasons.
- Hormonal changes in the body of a woman. During the birth in it in a huge amount of hormones are released endorphins. They launch a natural mechanism of anesthesia and help a woman adapt to her new role - mother. At this time, she experiences an incredible, all-consuming love for her child. However, this condition quickly passes. The level of endorphins comes back to normal, and the woman feels a "withdrawal syndrome", which causes depression and nervousness.
- Changes in the family. The birth of the baby, especially the first one, makes the couple reconsider the whole way of life. Care for the baby takes all the time of the mother, not leaving free minutes for attention to the spouse. This brings emotional tension, often a discord in the relationship of the couple.
- Intervention by third parties. The most frequent reason for the experiences of nursing mothers is the active participation in "child-rearing" of relatives: grandmothers, experienced aunts, sisters. Other people's advice, recommendations about feeding and breastfeeding, attempts to "fix" what the young mother is doing "wrong" lead to women's insecurity, cause anxiety, irritability.
What to do with the "nerves"
The first thing you want to do when the "nerves broke up" - buy a sedative for nursing moms and take a pill. However, not everything is so simple, psychologists warn.
"Everyone has nerves," comments Natalia Movchan, a psychologist.- Irritation is a signal to the fact that what is happening to you requires intervention or a search for a solution. That there is a problem that picks up strength and attention daily. And no medicine will solve this problem. "
According to obstetrician-gynecologist, candidate of medical sciences Ekaterina Pershina, the lactating mother should apply to sedatives only in the last place. Other techniques are no less effective than popular means. To normalize the emotional state, you need to pay attention to yourself and not forget about your interests.
- Make time for yourself. Let it be only thirty minutes a day, during which you can only do yourself. Listen to music, walk alone, take a warm bath with aromatic oil. Time spent alone with yourself, be sure to give positive results.
- Do not forget about your physiological needs. As hard as it may seem, do not set aside the need to fully eat and rest. When a child sleeps during the day, you sleep with him. Pass the worries about him for a while to dad, older children, grandmothers to eat or do household chores.
- Share your cares around the house with others. Encourage them to help you. Do not hesitate to talk about this with your husband, let him know that his task is not only to provide the family with material things, but also to take care of making the wife feel happy. After all, without this, normal relationships in the family are impossible. Moreover, the health of the baby depends on the emotional state of the mother.
- Cry if you need to. Do not hold back grievances, learn to speak directly to relatives about things that you do not like, worries. Do not let the problems turn into a "snowball", which you will be forced to bear only on your shoulders.
- Participate in everything that happens in the house. Do not fence yourself off from everyday activities. Discussion of current issues will relieve emotional tension.
- Create your own ritual. This can be an evening tea drinking of an exceptionally fragrant tea, which you have chosen only for yourself. Or a few minutes spent reading the book.
When you can not solve the problem yourself, you can ask for help from a specialist. To understand the causes of a complex emotional state will help a psychologist. But if a woman is suffering severe depression, obsessive conditions develop, consultation of the therapist is necessary. It is this specialist, who has a medical background and appropriate qualifications, who can prescribe a sedative during lactation.
Kinds of medicines
There is an opinion that soothing "herbs" absolutely will not harm a young mother."Do not be shy to drink valerian or motherwort," says Irina Ryuhova, a breastfeeding consultant for the ACEV."They will not harm your breast-feeding."But before taking any, even a natural remedy, you must carefully weigh all the pros and cons.
Herbal medicinal product is made from roots, stems of valerian. Widely used in different countries of the world, as a natural sedative without side effects.
In the reference book "Medicines and Milk of the Mother" by Thomas Hale, the 2010 edition of valerian is noted as a drug that should be used with caution in the period of breastfeeding. Studies on the intensity of its penetration into breast milk was not carried out. There is no data on how it affects the child.
In the E-LACTANCIA medical guide, valerian among sedatives for breastfeeding mothers is noted as a remedy with an unproven beneficial effect on a person. The plant contains essential oils, amino acids, tannins. According to the German Ministry of Health, taking in excess dosage causes nervousness, anxiety and insomnia. The maximum daily dose should not be more than 9 grams of the drug( or 2 grams in the form of a dry extract).Moderate use during breastfeeding is allowed, but because of the likelihood of sedation, it is not recommended to use the medication during the neonatal period. It is required to monitor the condition of the baby.
Lactation consultant Natalia Razahatskaya recommends the use of valerian if necessary and only in the lowest possible dosage, choosing the shortest treatment time.
The drug in tablets and tablets is made from the extract of the Motherwort Heartwort. Has a sedative effect, has a relaxing effect on the cardiovascular system. The drug has no side effects, except likely allergic reactions. The development of sedation is slow, usually manifested by the third week of admission.
In the international classifier of medicines "Pustyrnik" is absent. There have been no studies on its ability to penetrate breast milk, to stimulate a sedative effect in a child. If necessary, take the drug do it with caution, apply in a small dosage and periodically, not allowing regular use. It is desirable to choose an agent in tablets, since in the infusions alcohol, oppressive lactemia is used.
Means of plant origin, made of seven medicinal herbs. It includes valerian and melissa, hawthorn and St. John's wort, hops, elderberry, passionflower. The annotation to the drug states that use during breastfeeding is not allowed. Data on the penetration of the drug "Novo-Passit" into breast milk does not exist.
Lactation counselor Natalia Razakhatskaya advises taking the drug with caution, noting the undesirability of using "doubtful herbs" during the breastfeeding period. Choose a small dosage and take the medication for the minimum course.
The composition of the phytocomplex includes extracts of valerian, motherwort, peppermint. In the annotation to the remedy it is indicated that it is not recommended to use it during the period of breastfeeding. There is an opinion that mint has a depressing effect on lactation, but this data is not confirmed.
Homoeopathic preparations "Nervochel", "Valerianahel" have a calming effect. Supplied in the form of tablets and drops. It is desirable to use tableted forms, since in the drops the main active substance is alcohol. The preparations include a spectrum of substances in dosage D4-D12, which excludes the possibility of containing at least one molecule of medicinal herb in the granule of the agent.
According to the advice of lactation consultants, they can be a good answer to the question of what kind of sedative you can by breastfeeding. After all, the drugs do not have any side effects. However, they create a placebo effect, in which the woman knows that she is taking the medicine and is expecting an improvement in her condition. The improvement is really due to faith in the homeopathic drug.
Take the pellets "Nervochel", "Valerianahel" should be three times a day for half an hour before meals or an hour after meals. Evening reception is recommended immediately before bedtime.
In the opinion of the lactation consultant Irina Kolenchenko, the question of what can be used for sedatives during breastfeeding requires a particularly balanced approach. Each drug should be checked for compatibility with lactation. Most of the natural remedies in the international reference books of medicines are not available, therefore their effect on the baby has not been studied. More safe for the mother and baby, and much more effective means for normalizing the emotional state, will be the woman's attention to herself and help her from the relatives.