Contents of the article
- 1 Reasons for temperature increase
- 2 Action tactics for the mother
- 2.1 1. Determine the cause of
- 2.2 2. Do not stop feeding
- 2.3 3. Correctly measure the temperature of
- 2.4 4. Use antipyretic agents correctly
- 2.5 5. Drink more
- 3 Secure and prohibited items
- 3.1 «Paracetamol»
- 3.2 «Ibuprofen»
- 3.3 «Aspirin»
- 4 Rules receiving antipyretic
temperature rise tAte serves as a signal of the struggle of immunity with the causative agent of the disease. If we are talking about a nursing mother, doctors immediately specify the age of her baby. When less than six weeks have passed after delivery, there is a risk of postpartum complications, especially if the birth itself was not easy. The temperature can indicate the inflammation of postpartum scars or the development of the inflammatory process of the genitourinary system.
In this case, you will definitely need the help of a doctor. And the reception should refer to the specialist who took delivery."For six weeks after the birth for a woman's health is responsible gynecologist - says the issue MD, an obstetrician-gynecologist Nana Ordzhonikidze.- In case of a fever at this time, you should contact a women's consultation or "your" doctor in the hospital. "Reasons
increasing temperature and after postnatal period causes at which temperature rises during breastfeeding, can be as follows.
- ARD. Most often, acute respiratory infections do not disturb young mothers in the first months after childbirth. A woman contacts a limited circle of people, spends a lot of time in the open air, which reduces the risk of contracting the virus. However, if one of the members of the family is sick( husband, elder child), it is possible to infect the nursing mother and baby. Symptoms of the disease - nasal congestion, sore throat, "acute" onset of the disease with poor health and temperature is usually above 38 degrees. Symptoms of acute respiratory disease are well known, as well as tactics of treating the disease. Compliance with bed rest, copious drinking and taking antipyretics, if necessary, help the body recover on the fifth day from the onset of the illness.
- Lactostasis, mastitis. The reason is lactostasis blockage milk duct, which interferes with the outflow of the milk, there is swelling, inflammation develops. Lactostasis is accompanied by a sharp increase in body temperature above 38 C, pain and tightness of the affected milk lobe, a general malaise. The tactics of lactostasis treatment means the removal of stagnation, for which the child should be applied to the breast as often as possible. If the stasis did not resolve within three to four days, it is possible to attach a bacterial infection and develop an infectious mastitis. The latter is accompanied by an even higher temperature - up to 40 C, soreness and redness of the chest with an increase in temperature on the affected area. Treatment of infectious mastitis is usually done with antibiotics.
- Departure, intestinal infection. Other unpleasant symptoms are added to the temperature: vomiting, diarrhea. The course of the disease is otherwise similar to an acute respiratory infection. Treatment requires compliance with a strict diet, taking medications, enveloping effects, sorbents. Self-treatment of intestinal infection during breastfeeding is unacceptable. It is necessary to immediately call the district therapist. Despite differences
Tactics of the action of the mother
So, the temperature rose during lactation. What to do? Breastfeeding counselors recommend the following tactics of action.
1. Determine the cause of the
Usually it lies "on the surface", if the mother has symptoms of acute respiratory disease, lactostasis or intestinal infection. Contact your doctor to get professional advice on choosing treatment tactics.
2. Do not stop feeding
Often, doctors recommend that you stop breastfeeding if your mother's temperature is 38 degrees or more. For this there is no reason, warns the breastfeeding consultant Natalia Razakhatskaya. According to the methodological guide for doctors "Breastfeeding" of the lactation expert, doctor Ruth Lawrence, it is not allowed to stop breastfeeding if the mother has the following diseases:
- ARI, flu;
- lactostasis, mastitis, breast abscess;
- hepatitis A, B, C;
- herpes( other than the parotid zone);
- is a staphylococcal infection of various localizations;
- is an autoimmune disease.
Their treatment is possible with drugs compatible with breastfeeding, including "loyal" antibiotics. In addition, during the period of viral diseases in the woman's blood, antibodies to them are produced, which are saturated with breast milk. Continuing to breastfeed, you protect the child from illness. And if the baby also got infected, it makes it easier for the disease to progress.
3. Measure the temperature correctly
Usually the underarm area of a nursing woman seems hotter. This is due to the fact that milk, accumulating in the mammary glands, slightly increases their temperature. Normally, the temperature during breastfeeding is 37.1-37.3 degrees, sometimes slightly higher. To get a reliable result, it is necessary to feed the baby, wait about half an hour, wipe dry the skin of the armpits and only then use the thermometer.
4. Use antipyretics correctly
There is an opinion that the best antipyretic for lactation is necessarily in the candle, since the active substance remains in the intestines and does not enter the breast milk. This is not true. Regardless of the way the drug is injected into the body, it is concentrated in the blood plasma, and from there it is sent to the mammary glands. The difference consists only in the fact that in the stomach the tablets and syrups are absorbed much faster than in the intestine, since the area of interaction of the drug substance with the mucosa is greater. Therefore, if you want to quickly knock down the temperature, use tablets. If you need an extended effect, for example, during the night, use a candle. The active substance from them enters the blood gradually.
5. Drink more
General recommendation for all diseases of viral, bacterial nature, lactostasis. As the temperature rises, the body loses more fluid than usual. This can cause excessive viscosity of milk and hinder its outflow, which creates the risk of developing lactostasis. Regularly, every hour and a half drink on a glass of water, if the body temperature rises above 38o.
Safe and Prohibited Means
As antipyretic drugs during lactation, only Paracetamol and Ibuprofen should be used.
Compatible with breastfeeding, in accordance with the E-LACTANCIA International Drug Directory, Thomas Hale's Medicines and Mother's Milk, WHO recommendations. Has passed clinical tests, it is tested in the course of research of the international center ALSPAC with participation of twelve thousand pregnant women.
Despite the fact that Paracetamol penetrates the placental barrier during pregnancy and has a high degree of secretion in breast milk( according to various data up to 24%), the active substance does not adversely affect the fetus during fetal development, nor on the fetusThe kid. There are preparations of "Paracetamol" for reception by children from two-month age, therefore its use is completely safe.
The dosage of "Paracetamol" to bring down the temperature during breastfeeding is 325-650 mg every 4-6 hours. Analogues of the drug are Efferalgan, Panadol in tablets, candles. Forms in syrup are intended for use in childhood, their dosage does not fit an adult.
Non-steroidal preparation, has antipyretic and anti-inflammatory effect. Due to the complex effect, it is increasingly recommended by doctors for diseases accompanied by fever, pain syndrome, inflammation.
According to the international classifier of medicines, it is compatible with breastfeeding, well removes pain syndrome with lactostasis and mastitis, eliminates headache in ARI.As antipyretic has an extended life - up to eight hours.
Dosage is 200 mg 3-4 times a day. For a quick relief of the condition, a single dose of 400 mg of the agent is allowed with a further reduction in the dose to 200 mg. The maximum daily dosage is 400 mg of Ibuprofen three times a day.
Analogues of the drug - "Nurofen", "Ibufen", "Ibuprom".Intensity of penetration into breast milk is minimal, is slightly more than 1%, since the active substance is productively associated with blood proteins. In breast milk is localized one hour after ingestion.
The active ingredient of the popular antipyretic agent is acetylsalicylic acid. According to the international classifier E-LACTANCIA, refers to the means that should be taken with great care during lactation, once, in the event that another, safer alternative does not exist.
There is evidence that the use of the mother "Aspirin" in breastfeeding can provoke a child's topical lesion of the liver and brain( Ray's syndrome).The drug can cause deterioration of the baby, if he is also sick during the period of illness of the mother.
Rules for taking antipyretic drugs
- Use only the safe .Your choice should be "Paracetamol" or "Ibuprofen".The absence of their negative impact on the child is proved in the course of clinical trials.
- Use medication only when necessary. You should not drink the pill "just in case", so that the temperature does not rise. Despite the proven safety of Paracetamol, there is no evidence of its effect on the baby with systematic admission.
- Adjust the reception time. It is best to drink the medicine immediately after feeding. Then its level in breast milk to the next feeding will be insignificant.
- Do not adjust the feeding schedule if you use the allowed means. This is not necessary, feed, as you and the baby need it.
Use several tools if the temperature does not drop. What alternatives can be alternated to bring down the temperature during breastfeeding? According to pediatrician Yevgeny Komarovsky, a sequential reception of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen is allowed. If two hours after taking the first, the temperature did not fall, you can take the second in a therapeutic dose.
Do not use combination aids. The composition of drugs based on "Paracetamol" may include substances whose effects on the child's body are not known. These include "Coldrex", "Rince", "Terra Fleu" and others in powders and tablets. Take the active substance in its pure form.
Reviews of doctors about what antipyretic for breastfeeding is the most safe for the baby, you can choose the drug "Paracetamol" or "Ibuprofen".It is advisable to have both in your home medicine cabinet to adjust your well-being or to combine medicines if the temperature is high and you can not knock it down with one remedy. In the case of fever lasting more than three days, it is necessary to see a doctor, even if the symptoms of the disease resemble a typical cold.